Places to visit on New Year's Eve

NEW YORK

NYC has always been the ultimate hot spot for New Year’s. But if you’re in the city, look beyond the tourist-clogged Times Square for some end of the year partying. Head down a few blocks to Madison Square Garden and rock out to the The Flaming Lips, Wilco, and Sleater-Kinney, or see The String Cheese Incident over at Radio City Music Hall. The bars in the East Village are always a notorious hot spot, but be warned: the admission prices can be a little over the top. If you’re strapped for cash just buy a $2.00 Metrocard and head to Prospect Park in Brooklyn for its yearly fireworks display. There’s just as much flash and glitter as in Times Square, only less people to elbow for a good view.

CHICAGO

There isn’t any place hotter than Chi-town for New Years. And if you’re in the Windy City the place to be blown away is at Navy Pier. Some of the wildest scenes includes parties at the W and Bordo in Lincoln Park. When the spirit (or spirits) moves you, make your way to Millenium Park’s outdoor ice rink for a romatic spin. For those without the thick skin or thick coat, Navy Pier offers an indoor rink. But don’t get too tuckered out because when the clock stikes the magical hour the Pier rolls out an incredible fireworks show to light up the lakefront.

MONTREAL

If you’re age-challenged the place to party is north of the border, where drinking laws are, how do you say, more relaxed, eh. This year Juice Club and Blu Complex are blowing it out, but buy your tickets ahead of time because these parties fill up fast. Otherwise head downtown and make your own scene because it doesn’t matter if your underage, you’re in Canada!

LOS ANGELES

New Year’s Eve is the night when you can dress in ridiculous clothing, go out with people you vaguely know, get drunk on overpriced booze, and make out with complete strangers: basically, it’s like L.A. for everybody else.  So, if you’re actually in L.A., skip Sunset, ’cause you need a reservation to get into a club on the 31st, and hit some bars on in Santa Monica or a club downtown instead and then take your midnight tongue session to Swingers to get a quad-shot-latte and some fries before the sun comes up.

ALL ALONE

Those of us who are especially skilled at “down time” know that a New Years by yourself is not just about Marlboro Lights and grain alcohol, it is about separating yourself from the merriment to wallow in Skinamax and Vasoline. Don’t bother with Dick Clark or Carson Daly, your New Year’s is about knowing deep down inside that while the rest of the world might think the next year is going to be better than last, you know it will probably just suck in new and fabulously mediocre ways.

Share and discuss “Places to visit on New Year's Eve” on social media.