Paulus holds out on Duke

Greg Paulus, who verbally committed to Duke more than a year ago, has not yet signed his National Letter of Intent, father Dave Paulus said Monday. One of the top point guards in the country, Paulus is also among the nation's top quarterback recruits.

The player Coach K saw as his point guard of the future may not be coming to Duke after all.

Greg Paulus, who verbally committed to Duke more than a year ago, has not yet signed his National Letter of Intent, father Dave Paulus said Monday. One of the top point guards in the country, Paulus is also among the nation’s top quarterback recruits.

“Greg would prefer not to really address that issue right now just simply because he’s focused on his football season,” Dave Paulus said. “Unfortunately the timing of the open period just falls at a time where it becomes a distraction to his teammates.”

Many have speculated that he decided not to sign because he is reconsidering his decision to play college basketball. As a quarterback, Greg Paulus has led Christian Brothers Academy to the New York State Section AA semifinals, breaking a host of state records. Consequently, the Manlius, N.Y., native has drawn interest from many of the nation’s elite football programs, including Miami and Ohio State. Dave Paulus, however, has said his son has only delayed signing in order to concentrate on the football playoffs.

“I’m sure that people are going to interpret that in the football circles in a lot of different ways,” Dave Paulus said. “What I can tell you is that Greg’s commitment to Duke remains unchanged. He’s very committed to playing for Duke in the future.”

Christian Brothers Academy football coach Joe Casamento, who has fielded numerous calls from college coaches about Paulus, also believes that the two-sport star will ultimately play basketball at Duke.

“I think it’s just a done deal,” Casamento said. “Whenever it’s going to fit in so that we can find some time to give it the proper attention that it should get, I’m sure it’ll get done.”

In addition, Casamento said he had not been in contact with the Duke football coaches regarding Paulus, indicating that he would likely not play both sports at Duke.

“I did talk with Coach Roof about him when coach first got on, but since that time I think he’s been pretty much solidified with basketball,” Casamento said. “I haven’t talked with anyone at Duke football about him for a long time now.”

The signing process requires several forms and signatures, which can be faxed to the University. Paulus, who spoke with Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski earlier this week, has until Wednesday to sign his letter of intent during the early signing period.

Last season, Paulus averaged 24 points and eight assists per game for his Christian Brothers Academy team. He is the No. 3 point guard and No. 28 player in the class of 2005 according to the recruiting service scout.com. He verbally committed to the Blue Devils over Notre Dame, North Carolina, Syracuse and Xavier at a press conference in early September 2003.

Share and discuss “Paulus holds out on Duke” on social media.