Italian retools curriculum

Roman ruins, DaVinci’s paintings and gladiators’ battles are making their way into Italian classrooms earlier in an attempt to enrich the department’s introductory level courses.

The faculty in the University’s Italian department have recently revised the program to make classes more academically rigorous and attractive to students. Students in Italian 63, for example, are required to attend two cultural activities such as film screenings, games and cooking groups, which also helps to foster a sense of community.

“We’re focusing more on content and culture rather than just grammar,” said Luciana Fellin, director of the Italian Language Program. “Language is a vehicle of culture.”

Despite officials’ lofty intentions, some students said these changes translate into more difficult workloads in classes taken simply to fulfill graduation requirements.

“My professor is a really good professor but really demanding and expects you to always know how to say things in Italian,” sophomore Jeffrey Abrams said.

With limited high school experience, most students take Italian courses 1, 2 and then 63. Abrams noted that the jump from the elementary level to the intermediate is too big. Intermediate level courses generally demand a high level of proficiency among students.

But some students said they enjoy the increased level of communication that comes with more challenging classes, especially as they prepare to study abroad.

“I think it’s better because if you were to actually go to Italy, you could communicate and understand the language,” senior Tate Hodges said. “The most important part of learning a language is being able to understand and communicate.”

Fellin said Italy is the second most popular study abroad destination at the University, adding that students are now enrolling in more Italian classes. For example, only 112 students enrolled in Italian classes in Fall 1999. This semester, the number grew to 269 students.

“We actually have had an increased enrollment in higher levels, evidence that people are doing well and enjoying the program,” Fellin said.

Other students said they welcome a more interactive style of education, not just grammar memorization.

“I feel like I’ve learned a lot more about Italy this year than in the past two semesters combined,” said Toby Benenson, a sophomore currently taking Italian 63.

Italian professors pointed out that learning grammar builds a foundation, however, for more advanced language classes that can focus on cultural aspects instead of the mechanics of the language.

“We are working very hard to make sure the lower levels get a high level of grammar so that they can take the higher levels of literature and grammar courses,” said Laura Orsi, visiting assistant professor of romance studies.

Share and discuss “Italian retools curriculum” on social media.