E. Coli infections traced from fair

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services confirmed Wednesday that the recent state Fair in Raleigh was the source of an E. Coli outbreak.

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services confirmed Wednesday that the recent State Fair in Raleigh was the source of an E. Coli outbreak that has potentially infected 107 people—41 of whom have tested positive for the bacteria. A majority of the infected are children, 11 of whom have already developed a serious complication known as hemolytic-uremic syndrome. This syndrome can be deadly.

More than 800,000 people visited the fair in Raleigh from Oct. 15 to 24. While the specific source of the outbreak remains unknown, initial results have led investigators to blame the fair’s two petting zoos, Crossroads Farm and Commerford and Sons, but officials are still inspecting food vendors and other animal exhibits.

“There’s been a lot of speculation that [the E. Coli] could have come from contact with animals at the state fair,” said Brian Long, director of Public Affairs at the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. “The petting zoos were operated by independent companies and they’ve both operated petting booths at the state fair for several years. They are obviously quite concerned and are monitoring the situation closely as well.”

Locally-based Crossroads Farm’s petting zoo only attends a few shows a year. Commerford and Sons, however, has continued touring to another fair in South Carolina. Darlene Commerford, treasurer of Commerford and Sons, said the family was concerned about their animals and the recent press coverage.

“Its upsetting because we’ve been in the business for almost four years, and we’re very well known in the industry. It’s been devastating for us,” she said. “We pick up their feces, we bathe them, we do everything. So how come we don’t have E. Coli?”

Commerford said animals from the fair had been separated and were under observation, but she remained skeptical of the situation.

“I’ve spoken to different veterinarians, and everybody has said that its virtually impossible to have an outbreak of E. Coli like that from petting an animal,” she said.

But epidemiologist Dr. Keith Kaye said the petting zoos remained a possibility to be the origin of the outbreak. “When you have animals in a closed setting like that and all those kids rolling around, it favors a high transmission rate,” Kaye said. “Will we find the smoking pig, so to say? Maybe not, but these sort of outbreaks have occurred before.”

Long emphasized that several precautions were taken to ensure that fair conditions were sanitary, including setting up waterless hand sanitizing stations with antibacterial gel at locations where people might be in contact with animals. “We encourage people to practice good hygiene and of course we will continue to do that,” Long said, adding that no changes had been discussed for next year to prevent future outbreaks.

Officials at the state lab are conducting DNA testing on the bacteria to find the exact origin of the outbreak. Initial results have led investigators to believe that all of the infected people have the same type of E. Coli bacteria, providing more evidence that the bacteria originated at one exhibit instead of at multiple locations.

Currently, health officials are primarily concerned with those who have become infected with the bacteria. “We’re so glad that these children appear to be out of danger. We just want to find out the source,” said Britt Cobb, state agriculture commissioner.

Humans can contract E. Coli through contact with animals, feces and other contaminated surfaces, as well as through consumption of contaminated food. The bacteria occurs naturally in the intestinal tracts of animals and humans. In humans, however, certain strains can have effects ranging from stomach cramps to severe health complications. These strains “make a toxin that could make you need dialysis and even kill you, particularly children,” Kaye said.

Several Duke students visited the state fair, but so far none have reported E. Coli symptoms. Sophomore Bayard Friedman was more surprised than concerned by the E. Coli outbreak.

“We went to the petting zoo,” he said. “It’s a little unsettling. It doesn’t surprise me so much with the animals, but it does surprise me that it would happen at the state fair.”

Friedman also expressed hopes that Duke students will continue to attend the fair in the future.

“It’s a lot of fun. I hope it doesn’t dampen people’s enthusiasm for getting out and seeing something that’s very different from the Duke atmosphere,” he said. “How many places can you eat fried Snickers bars while watching pig races?”

Share and discuss “E. Coli infections traced from fair” on social media.