Duke PTS concerns being addressed

As Director of Duke Parking and Transportation Services, I appreciate Aaron Kirschenfeld's concern for Duke PTS employees and encourage all Duke students to be attentive to the outstanding work being done by our staff. At the same time, I think it is necessary to clarify some misunderstandings contained in Kirschenfeld's Nov. 18 column.

For various reasons we experience attrition in our staff, most recently due to retirement. Because of the need to hire experienced and professional bus operators and provide them with the additional training to ensure they are fully competent to transport our students, replacing staff can take several weeks. At this time we are in the process of filling two vacant positions. These drivers will work full schedules during the nine-month academic year.

Nine-month employees can be offered additional work over the summer to help fill vacation vacancies. All bus operators, both 12-month and nine-month operators, are eligible to join Local 1328 of the Amalgamated Transit Union. There is no distinction in eligibility for union membership. Local 1328 represents the interests of all bus operators to the management. During the last two years, the number of bus operators has increased, therefore giving more opportunity to expand the Union's membership. In addition, hours of service on routes on campus and at the medical center have increased rather than decreased in response to the need to expand the bus system.

Our policies and procedures must include Duke personnel policies and those negotiated and agreed to between Duke and Local 1328. In addition, policies such as drivers not being allowed to eat or drink while operating transit vehicles (they are asked to move out of the driver's seat if they choose to eat or drink on a parked bus) is an industry safety rule. Employees who have exhausted their sick leave may choose to take vacation days rather than unpaid leave. Situations with illness of employees or employee's children are taken very seriously. Every attempt is made to schedule drivers off for medical appointments when their supervisors have advanced notice. When emergencies occur and no other drivers are available, supervisors have driven buses so that drivers can attend to their problems without causing disruption of services.

Disagreements about disciplinary action or interpretations of attendance policies are all open to grievances by employees. If concerns are not addressed by the supervisor to the employee's satisfaction, all such claims would go the grievance hearing process. Union representation has a role at each step of the grievance process. The managers of DPTS are always striving to improve both working conditions for employees and service to the Duke community. I would welcome the opportunity to talk with Kirschenfeld, or with others, who have specific situations they would like to discuss.

Catherine Reeve
Director, Parking and Transportation Services

Share and discuss “Duke PTS concerns being addressed” on social media.