Crime Briefs

Merrymakers wreak havoc at construction site

At 4:46 a.m. Oct. 28 officers found the gate at the Washington Duke Inn construction site damaged. After further investigation, officers found additional damage to a trailer on the site and damage to a vending machine on the site. A window on a trailer and the lock on the trailer door were damaged in an apparent break-in attempt. When construction personnel arrived, it was determined that a dump truck had been stolen from the site and was used to damage the gate and fence. The truck was later located at another construction site in the city. Damage to the fence and gate was estimated at $1,500. Damage to the trailer is estimated at $200. Damage to the vending machine is estimated at $100.

Mysterious man totes gun in garage

At 6:29 a.m. Oct. 29 an employee reported a man carrying a gun got on the elevator with her at parking garage II. The employee said the man, described as a black male around five foot four inches tall, wearing a brown leather jacket, got on the elevator with her and had a gun in his hand. She said he put the gun in his pocket when he saw her. The man did not speak to her or threaten her with the gun. Officers searched the area and did not locate anyone fitting that description.

Entrance to Uncle Harry’s vandalized

An employee reported damage to the front glass door at Uncle Harry’s Store Oct. 29. The employee reported that sometime between 10 p.m. Oct. 28 and 8 a.m. Oct. 29 someone kicked the lower glass panel of the door, severely cracking the door but not breaking the glass out of the door.

No entry was made into the store. The damage is estimated at $600.

Laptop stolen in library

A student reported Oct. 27 the theft of her Apple I-book laptop computer from the gothic reading room in Perkins Library. The student said she left her laptop in the room at 4 a.m. Oct. 27. When she returned to the library at 3 p.m. the same day the computer was missing. The stolen computer is valued at $1,200.

Vehicle damaged near Sarah P. Duke Gardens

A visitor reported Oct. 26 a break-in to her vehicle parked in the Sarah P. Duke Gardens parking lot. The victim reported that she parked her 2002 Honda Civic in the lot at 9 a.m. Oct. 26. When she returned to her vehicle at 11 a.m. the same day she found her right side window broken. Nothing was taken from the vehicle. The damage is estimated at $200.

Thief nabs parking permit

A student Oct. 27 reported a break-in to her vehicle parked in the Sanford Public Policy parking lot. The victim said she parked her 1992 Honda Civic in the lot at 10:15 a.m. Oct. 27. When she returned to her vehicle at 11:30 a.m. the same day she found her parking permit had been stolen from her unlocked vehicle. The stolen permit is valued at $200.

Permit yanked from open car window

A student reported Oct. 26 the theft of his blue zone parking permit. The student said he parked his 2003 Mercedes C-240 in the blue zone at 9:30 p.m. Oct. 25. When he returned to his vehicle at midnight the same day he found that someone had reached into his vehicle through a partially lowered window and removed the permit. The stolen permit is valued at $25.

Meat hijacked from Emergency Department

A visitor reported Oct. 26 the theft of 50 pounds of meat from a refrigerator in the Duke Emergency Department. The victim said the meat was placed in the refrigerator at 9 a.m. Oct. 25 and was discovered missing at 11 a.m. the same day.

Cash missing from employee’s desk

An employee reported Oct. 26 the theft of $200 in cash from a desk in her office in the Old Chemistry Building. The victim said she last saw the money in her desk at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 22. The money was missing when she checked her desk at 4 p.m. Oct. 26.

Wallet nabbed at Medical Center

An employee reported Oct. 27 the theft of her wallet from her desk in the North Pavilion. The victim said she last saw the wallet in the desk at 6 p.m. Oct. 26. She looked for the wallet at 11 a.m. Oct. 27 and it was missing. The wallet, which contained her checkbook and various identification and credit cards, is valued at $80.

Thief steals cash from patient

A visitor reported Oct. 27 the theft of $60 in cash from his wallet from a patient room in Duke University Hospital. The victim said he last saw the money in the wallet at 8 p.m. Oct. 26. He found the money missing from his wallet at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 26.

Wallet nabbed on East Campus

A student reported Oct. 31 the theft of his wallet from a dorm room in Gilbert Addoms Dormitory. The student said he left the wallet in his friend’s room at 12:30 p.m. Oct. 31. The wallet was missing when he went back to the unlocked room at 1:30 p.m. the same day. The wallet contained $80 in cash and various identification cards, valued at $60.

Drill purloined at Medical Center

A maintenance worker reported Oct. 26 the theft of his Bosch cordless drill from a hallway in the Duke Children’s Health Center. The victim said he left the drill in the hall where he was working at 11 a.m. Oct. 26. The drill was missing when he returned to the area at 2:30 p.m. the same day. The stolen drill is valued at $350.

Tool box pillaged on construction site

A construction employee reported Oct. 27 the theft of several tools from a locked tool box at the Perkins Library construction site. The victim said he put a DeWalt Sawzall, valued at $200, an 18-volt cordless drill, valued at $200, four 18-volt batteries valued at $50 each and a leather tool pouch valued at $450 in the tool box at 8 p.m. Oct. 26. When he returned to work at 7:56 a.m. Oct. 27 the tools were gown. The total value of the stolen tools is $1,200.

Share and discuss “Crime Briefs” on social media.