DSG officially approves new Black Tenting policy

The 2004-2005 policy for admissions to men’s basketball games stood toward the back of the line at Wednesday night’s Duke Student Government meeting. Discussion of approval of group charters, interest in a special presentation on the DukeCard and three new resolutions drew more attention than the unanimous passage of the formerly controversial new tenting policy.

This year’s guidelines incorporate a black tenting period prior to Blue Tenting. The new period, significantly more rigorous than Blue Tenting, is designed to address the administration’s safety concerns over students returning early to camp out.

Black tenting requires the presence of 10 students at night and eight students during the day and only allows grace for weather emergencies and home basketball games.

DSG President Pasha Majdi said the implementation of black tenting will prevent drastic changes to the Krzyzewskiville community that may have occurred if the student organization did not act before the administration. “The reason we take it seriously is that there have been talks about setting a date before which students can come back, which would have ruined first come first serve,” Majdi said.

The changes should create a healthier and safer environment and have been received positively by the K-Ville community, Head Line Monitor Steve Rawson said. To formulate the policy, Rawson met with tenters who are likely to participate in black tenting as well as with former line monitors.

This year’s changes also include a switch from tenting for Maryland to Wake Forest, and the creation of a tent for line monitors to “facilitate communication with the tenters,” Rawson said. “We as the line monitors really want to be perceived as a part of the K-Ville community rather than as part of some outside group.”

Majdi and Rawson also stated the primary challenge this year is informing students that camping out for weeks on end is not necessary to gain admission to games. “One of the most important things that we have to do this year is address the fans who want to come to games but think it’s too much of a pain,” Majdi said.

In other business

DSG passed three new resolutions Wednesday.

After professor of mathematics Parviz Ghadimi’s work authorization was revoked, the Committee for Community Interaction introduced legislation to support an examination of his work visa.

Ghadimi has been unable to teach since his work authorization was canceled. DSG will contact Duke professor and congressperson David Price, D-N.C., and Sen. Elizabeth Dole, R-N.C., to expedite the probe into Ghadimi’s work authorization.

DSG also passed a resolution recommending that students travel through Duke Clinic when returning from parking lots near the Medical Center. Currently access to the indoor shortcut is prohibited.

The senate unanimously approved a resolution recommending that E-print stations be added to the Bryan Center.

DSG chartered two groups, but legislators raised concern over the body’s lack of discretion in the approval process.

Matthew Drummond, senior manager of the DukeCard office, outlined the history of the DukeCard. He spoke about the use of wireless card terminals and future improvements to the online systems.

DSG allocated $750 and $740 to the community service center and Duke Objectivist club, respectively.

Share and discuss “DSG officially approves new Black Tenting policy” on social media.