Political correctness not about sensitivity

Political correctness is not about sensitivity or friendliness. Persons extending political correctness are often masking their own fear or cultural prejudice. It’s no coincidence that the three groups often extended the most courtesy in this respect—blacks, gays and Muslims—are the same three groups perceived as most dangerous, sexually impulsive and riot-prone. In protecting their sensitivity, outsiders not only patronize them, but they affirm these groups’ inferiority.

On the other end, the recipients of the political correctness conceal manipulation and willful disregard for other people’s right to free speech. They exploit their own minority group’s struggles, history and triumph through the constant and usually hypocritical censorship of other people. Their leaders make civil rights a business and render the community an interest group with its interests and its interests alone in mind.

In reading Thaddeus Edwards II’s Sept. 24 column, “Does it really matter?”, I wished he was being ironic, that his questions were all rhetorical and that his anecdotes were meant to be facetious.

Unfortunately, the smattering of earnest comments throughout the column, including: “suffice it to say that the mood was ruined for the rest of the night,” was not meant sarcastically. So to save him time “figuring out some answers” to these questions of his, no it does not really matter. Yes, people have a right to be offended. It is not illegal. However, yes, people have a right to speak freely, tell jokes and state their opinions. If the person who is offended feels moved to do so, seeing as it is not illegal, he or she can ignore it completely, respond communicatively and quit eavesdropping.

Aprelle Neal

Trinity ’05

Share and discuss “Political correctness not about sensitivity” on social media.