SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Blue Devils try to stifle ECU attack

Duke’s stingy defense will contest Terron Amos and the flashy offense of East Carolina University tonight. Duke’s seven-game shutout streak will be challenged as the Blue Devils (7-0) take on the Pirates (3-3) at 7 p.m.

“[ECU] has scored more goals than any other team we’ve played this season,” head coach John Rennie said. “They’ve shown the ability to score goals off set pieces.”

Duke’s defense has been dominant in the opening seven games, especially in a 1-0 victory over Clemson Saturday, when the Blue Devils prevented the Tigers from making runs at the net throughout most of the game. The unit will have to contend with a well-rounded and highly productive ECU offense headed by Amos, who has already tallied 16 points. Amos’ ability to pick apart Duke’s defense and get past fullback Danny Miller could decide tonight’s matchup.

ECU has scored four goals this season off its corner kick play, involving three forwards who surround the keeper. By packing the box and suffocating the goalie, the Pirates have been able to execute the corner play with great efficiency.

“[The Pirates] are very dangerous off corners and free kicks,” Rennie said. “As always, we’re working to improve defensively but also verbally.”

With a core dominated by freshmen, this year’s Blue Devils are relatively inexperienced. With a matchup with No. 2 Maryland looming this weekend, the team could be primed for an upset. Rennie has urged his team to remain focused.

“East Carolina is a feisty team who we’re are not underestimating,” said senior goalie Justin Trowbridge, who picked up ACC Player of the Week honors. “Before the game against Maryland, we have our most important game of the year: the next one on the schedule, against ECU.”

Although the scouting reports are very important, Rennie said the focus in practice has been on Duke play instead of the opponent.

“We have a young team this year, and we’re more concerned with what we’re doing, not so much other teams,” Rennie said.

Duke’s first ACC victory over Clemson has increased the Blue Devils’ momentum coming into this game, and the team cracked the top 25 for the first time this season in the College Soccer News poll.

The last time ECU and Duke met was in 1994, when the Blue Devils soundly put away the Pirates, 6-0.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils try to stifle ECU attack” on social media.