SPORTS  |  ROWING

Blue Devils pull past UNC in 3-of-4 sprints

One day after a boat naming ceremony at nearby Lake Michie, the women’s rowing team kicked off the 2004 campaign with a solid performance Saturday at the Lake Michie Invitational against North Carolina. Rowing in twos and fours, the the Blue Devils won three of four events, including both the first varsity events.

“Today was a great way to start off the race season,” head coach Robyn Horner said. “Our crews were very smooth and raced with composure, particularly considering they had only rowed these lineups once before.”

The Blue Devils fared exceptionally well in the women’s first varsity pairs. Duke boats captured the first five spots, with the team’s last boat finishing 15 seconds ahead of the nearest Tar Heel craft.

“We were definitely happy with the results,” senior Julia Gelfand said. “It was good to see the hard work paying off and we’re technically doing a very good job.”

The Duke freshmen also had a strong showing at the race, rowing primarily in the second varsity crews. The second varsity pairs took the top three spots, and the second varsity fours grabbed second and third.

“I’m really proud of the confidence with which the freshmen raced today. This was their first opportunity to represent Duke and they made a statement,” freshman coach Emily Egge said. “Our race training is just getting started, and today’s performance tells us we are moving in the right direction.”

Friday the team honored three members of the Duke Athletic Department who have been instrumental in starting the program, which is in its seventh year with varsity status. In a ceremony held at Lake Michie in Bahama, N.C., team members splashed champagne on three new four-person boats in a symbolic dedication of the new crafts. The boats are named after Athletic Director Joe Alleva, Senior Associate Athletic Director Chris Kennedy and Associate Athletic Director Jacki Sillar.

“All three of the athletic directors we are honoring have been instrumental in our development as a varsity program,” Horner said. “I can’t think of a better way to say thank you than to have their names on our bow, leading the way.”

Share and discuss “Blue Devils pull past UNC in 3-of-4 sprints” on social media.