Staff Editorial: Support same-sex couples

This is an article summary. You should see me on the directory page but not on the article page.

Tomorrow, representatives from Duke and the YMCA of the Triangle Area will meet in an effort to resolve a dispute over what constitutes a family for the purpose of family membership discounts. ����

�The question concerns gay rights and whether same-sex couples qualify as families. Duke believes that they do, and the University should suspend its current agreement with the YMCA unless the organization recognizes same-sex couples as families. ����

�Duke and the YMCA have an contract in which the University promotes the YMCA in its employee literature in exchange for discounted membership rates for Duke employees. Duke and the YMCA have reached a stalemate over the issue of same-sex couples and their status in obtaining membership discounts at the YMCA. ����

�Duke's definition of family includes same-sex couples, which would make them eligible for the family membership rate. The Downtown YMCA in Durham did not object to this agreement until it came under the management of the Raleigh YMCA. ����

�The YMCA admits gay members but requires each member of a same-sex couple to pay the individual rate. The issue, however, is not essentially a financial concern as the cost difference is not substantial. The family monthly rate is $68 compared to the individual rate of $45, thus a family membership would only save a couple $22 per a month. ����

�The issue is one of principle--the YMCA will not recognize Duke's definition of family, thereby not honoring the relationship between members of a same-sex couple. The YMCA, while not discriminating against individuals based on their sexual orientation in their admissions policy, does not hold same-sex couples in the same esteem as it does heterosexual married couples. ����

�The University has already taken a stance on same-sex couples and has decided to regard them as families. This policy is consistent with Duke's standards in other arenas, such as allowing same-sex unions to be performed in the Chapel. ����

�Since the Durham YMCA did not have any problems honoring the agreement until its change in management, it is clear that the YMCA can recognize Duke's definition of family. The YMCA honored the agreement for over six months, and to renounce it now is an insult to same-sex couples. ����

�Duke must not back down on this important issue. ����

�The University has similar agreements with other fitness clubs so employees can still join a fitness club at a discounted rate. ����

�In this instance the principle is paramount, and Duke should most certainly use its influence as an institution to support gay rights. If the YMCA does not agree to recognize same-sex couples as families, Duke should withdraw from the agreement for the time being. By holding to its original decision to regard same-sex couples as families, the University is helping fight the continuing battle for gay rights, and The Chronicle applauds the University for not wavering on this issue.

Share and discuss “Staff Editorial: Support same-sex couples” on social media.