Freshmen sound off on ACES registration

From July 12 to July 17, members of the Class of 2008 became the first class to register for courses via ACES Web over the summer before their freshman year. Previously, incoming students had been assigned to classes based on their responses to a questionnaire they filled out over the summer. During the week of registration, The Chronicle spoke with several incoming students and Robert Thompson, dean of Trinity College, about the process.

"We're delighted. [The system] didn't crash."
-- Thompson

"Everybody seems to be happy about it. They seem to be getting the classes they want."
-- Tina Hoang, Texas, early registrant (FOCUS member)

"It was easy and manageable. The computer system worked well."
-- Varun Lalla, Texas, Monday registrant

"I'm very happy. I got every class I wanted. I got every time I wanted. It worked out great."
-- Craig Silverman, California, Monday registrant

"I was really nervous about it, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was quick and easy."
-- Sarah Herringer, California, Tuesday registrant

"I was sort of annoyed that all the sections I'd wanted were closed--I feel like I got the shaft. I registered for some [political science] seminar I didn't even know the name of, because everything else was full."
-- Jenna Claunch, Texas, Wednesday registrant

"A lot of people have been complaining because they didn't get what they want. It's sort of frustrating."
-- Sarah Carlson, Texas, Wednesday registrant

"I'm not worried about getting the classes I want. I'm worried about getting the times I want. All the 10 o'clocks were full, so I'm probably going to end up in 8:30 classes."
-- Clark Daniel, Texas, Thursday registrant

"I rearranged my schedule about three times in the past few days, and I'll probably change it more [before I register]."
-- Joseph Bataile, Jr., Ohio, Friday registrant

"The last few days are going to be crunch time."
-- Thompson

Share and discuss “Freshmen sound off on ACES registration” on social media.