Bar stays on food points, Jimmy John's may return

For concerned undergraduates hankering for a drink that's just a swipe away and "subs so fast you'll freak," the long wait is over. The WaDuke is safe, and Jimmy John's is negotiating plans to return to Merchants on Points.

Officials at the Washington Duke Inn considered a suspension of the purchase of alcohol on points at their Bull Durham Bar this summer amid rising concerns that the upscale lounge was becoming too much of a typical "college bar." But after a careful evaluation process, the country club's administration has decided to continue the program, Washington Duke Inn Director of Sales and Marketing Jim Bressler said, adding that there would be "no changes." Sub stop Jimmy John's, meanwhile, has expressed an interest in returning to Merchants on Points after a one-year voluntary hiatus to renovate its facilities.

"I think the folks at the Washington Duke looked at the volume of Duke students and recognized that they were a huge business opportunity," said Jim Wulforst, director of dining services.

Bressler said the Washington Duke is going to try to find the best possible balance between the student population and the ongoing guests at the bar, which will be greatly expanded after an addition is completed in 2005. "I think it's a manageable process, and I don't think that it is as big a problem as we initially thought it was," he said.

The Washington Duke's Fairview Restaurant is also being renovated and will have a new location in the hotel.

Junior Grant Gillespie, who frequents both the restaurant and bar, was excited that the potential points change, first mentioned in the early spring, was never implemented. "That's awesome," he said. "The Washington Duke is a great alternative to other eateries on campus because not only do you get great service and great food, it's a great atmosphere to drink with your friends and enjoy yourself."

Jimmy John's came under the management of Fox Restaurant Ventures at the end of last summer, at which point operating partner and area manager Dan Mall decided to put its points status on hold to focus on improving the restaurant.

"They have expressed an interest to get back into the program, and we are hoping to see them back on points once school opens," Wulforst said.

Besides new lighting and a new staff, the Ninth Street restaurant is also offering a new, but higher-priced, menu. Still, senior Andrew Sampson said, "I'm glad they are [thinking of] coming back. They have good subs mad fast."

Uptown Seafood will be joining Merchants on Points this fall. Christopher Chin, Merchants on Points coordinator for Duke University Student Dining Advisory Council, said the restaurant offers reasonably priced cuisine and "will fill a needed niche."

"This is a really good business opportunity for us because Duke is one of the largest businesses in Durham," owner Steve Niu said. "The potential market for us is huge."

Bread and Kabob will leave Duke points, as it went out of business this summer.

Next year, off-campus points deliveries will no longer be limited to the hours of 7 p.m. to 4 a.m. on weeknights and after 1 p.m. on weekends, but instead can go dorm-to-dorm whenever they have drivers available, DUSDAC Chair Dave Gastwirth said.

"This is great news," sophomore Gul Tuysuz said. "It will make things a lot less of a hassle, and we will have more options to choose from."

Share and discuss “Bar stays on food points, Jimmy John's may return” on social media.