"And 1" brings the streets to your court

Unless you are a hoops aficionado, you probably didn't notice Miami Heat back-up point guard Rafer Alston during the NBA playoffs this year. Scoring an average of seven points per game, he was a fine replacement when rookie phenom Dwayne Wade needed a rest, but Alston hasn't always been just a role player.

Back on the asphalt courts of Queens, N.Y., and Harlem's legendary Rucker Park, all eyes were on Skip to My Lou, Alston's alter ego. On steamy summer nights and chilly autumn afternoons, Skip would draw dozens of onlookers to marvel at his unique brand of street ball talent. Things might have remained strictly local for Alston and his moves if one of his coaches hadn't sent a tape of highlights to the And 1 footwear and apparel company outside Philadelphia. Shortly thereafter Alston became the first baller with a shoe contract, but no NBA contract.

Music was added and the tape became known as the "And 1 Mixtape: Volume 1." Five more volumes would follow as audiences simply could not get to enough jaw-dropping crossovers and stratospheric slams.

Today, a new class of street ballers carry on the style that Skip pioneered in the form of the And 1 Mixtape Tour. Cashing in on the tapes' success, ESPN has also launched an accompanying reality show, now in its third season (www.and1.com/mixtape). The 10-episode television series chronicles the Mixtape Tour as it makes its way through 30 U.S. cities pitting the Mixtape All-stars against the best local talent, affording them the opportunity to earn a spot on the tour.

Tour events can be best described as a combination of competitive sport and performance art along with a hearty serving of goofing off. The object of the game is still to score more points than the opposing team, but only on the Mixtape Tour are ballers encouraged to launch alley-oops from half court and bounce passes through defender's legs instead of being reminded of the dangers of these maneuvers. While the legality of a player setting himself up for a dunk by launching the ball off the shot clock would be in question in most leagues, that's how And 1 brings it to you. Raw.

Tour players who can proudly declare "Street ball is my job" include old-schoolers Half Man Half Amazing, Shane the Dribbling Machine, and Main Event. Some of the Tour's newcomers include Professor, a 5-foot-10 19 year-old Oregonian with the sickest white-boy handles since Memphis Grizzlies guard Jason Williams, and Helicopter, a 6-foot-1 North Carolinian who would be the Street's Vince Carter if Vinsanity wasn't quite so soft.

As a small criticism, it seems that the franchise has gotten a tad commercial with tour DJs mixing Big Red and KFC advertisements into their sets. But it's a small price to pay for the chance see a dude strip down to his drawers and run around the court after faking a defender out of his high-tops. You can check out the whole production complete with half-time rap battle at the RBC Center August 17th or edited for your pleasure on ESPN2.

Share and discuss “"And 1" brings the streets to your court” on social media.