Junior power forward opts for Blue Devils

Women's basketball coach Gail Goestenkors grabbed another commitment from the class of 2005 Saturday from 6-foot-2 power forward/wing forward Carrem Gay.

"[Goestenkors] is such a nice person, and she does a great job coaching," Gay told The Chronicle Wednesday. "[Duke] has a beautiful campus, and I like North Carolina; my sister lives down there."

Gay--who selected the Blue Devils over Connecticut and Rutgers and maintains a very strong grade point average--was also impressed by Duke's formidable academics.

"We already looked at other colleges, and the academics and the athletics that Duke offers, we think is one of the best," Gay's father said. "With her athleticism and her academic achievement, we thought Duke was the best place for Carrem to be."

Gay averaged 14 points and nine rebounds a game last year for distinguished basketball program Christ the King High School in Middle Valley, N.Y. A quick rebounder and defender, Gay led Christ the King to the New York Catholic State championship, and was named a Student Sports All-American and Newsday All-Star player. Additionally, she has drawn comparisons to another former Christ the King alum, four-time All-American Chamique Holdsclaw.

"Carrem does it all; she could play the two, three, four, five," Gay's father said. "She does everything that is required of her. You put her in a position and she'll do it."

Her versatility makes her a valuable asset for Goestenkors, who is seeking a wing player recruit in the class of 2005. She is the fourth recruit to begin her Duke career in 2005, joining point guard Brittany Mitch and sisters Abby and Emily Waner in the class.

Share and discuss “Junior power forward opts for Blue Devils” on social media.