Deng in hunt for agent

When Luol Deng announced in April that he was exploring NBA Draft options, he wanted to be sure he would be among the top picks. Now, it appears that will become a reality.

Deng has decided to forego his final three years of eligibility and join the NBA ranks next season. Deng's parents are in the process of recommending an agent to Luol, and Aldo Deng, Luol's father, said an agent may be named by the end of the week.

The family has moved quickly to hire an agent after the expansion Charlotte Bobcats refused to attend Luol's workouts at Duke.

"If he is visiting the teams, he has to get the agent as soon as possible," Aldo Deng told The Chronicle.

Four agents have visited the Deng family in London and the family hopes to come to a consensus on an agent in the next few days.

"We are in the process to select one person and recommend one to Luol," Aldo Deng said. "Luol does not have the time."

After spending the past several weeks working out and taking summer classes at Duke, Deng has moved to Blairstown, N.J., where he attended high school at Blair Academy.

One of Luol's first stops after hiring an agent will be Charlotte. The city's expansion team has been interested in Deng and holds the No. 4 pick in the Draft. Aldo Deng said the Bobcats' unwillingness to visit Luol at Duke was among the reasons why family is moving quickly to hire an agent.

"I think that team is an important team," Aldo Deng said about the Bobcats. "I think that team is close to Duke, and that it is good to be in a place and we want Luol to continue in the Duke family whatever happens."

Once he has hired an agent, Deng plans to visit a number of teams that hold high draft selections. Orlando hold the first pick in the June 24 Draft, followed by the Clippers, Bulls, Bobcats and Wizards.

"He will check with those on the top, those in the lottery along with others," Aldo Deng said.

Although Deng is projected to be a top-five selection, Aldo Deng is still unsure of Luol's draft placement. ESPN.com's mock draft has Deng slated to go fourth to the Bobcats.

Share and discuss “Deng in hunt for agent” on social media.