LIVINGSTON DECLARES FOR NBA DRAFT

One of Duke's most promising prospects may never put on a Blue Devil uniform.

6-foot-7 point guard Shaun Livingston declared himself eligible for the NBA Draft Monday. With the decision, Livingston becomes the first Duke signee ever to forgo a collegiate career completely in favor of the NBA.  

"He contacted Krzyzewski today," said Chuck Weston, Peoria Central high school athletic director. "He does not have an agent."

By not hiring an agent, Livingston maintains his college eligibility. Unlike college players who must withdraw from the Draft prior to the June 17 deadline, Livingston can go through the Draft and still attend Duke as long as he does not enlist the services of an agent. Such a move, however, is considered unlikely.

According to Livingston's grandfather Frank, he, Shaun and father Reggie Livingston have yet to sit down and discuss the decision.

Frank Livingston, indicated that there is still a possibility that his grandson would opt for the Blue Devils after all. Livingston has been vociferous in his encouragement for Shaun to go to college.

"I think he needs to go to college a year at least because he's too immature for the NBA," he said. "I think there's a good chance that he's going to come back to Duke when he finds out if he's immature like I'm telling him today."

Livingston said that Deng's decision to jump to the NBA had a minor impact on his choice. Both Deng and Livingston are projected as top five picks in the upcoming draft. Many speculate that they will be the first two players chosen after Connecticut center Emeka Okafor and Atlanta prepster Dwight Howard.

"I can't say that it didn't [affect me]," Livingston told the Peoria Journal-Star Monday in reference to Deng's decision. "It wasn't a main factor, but the chance to play with him would have been great."

However, the final decision came after talking with Chicago trainer Tim Grover, an elite workout guru who has trained Michael Jordan, among others.

"The deciding factor was the opportunity in front of me," Livingston told the Journal-Star. "I've based my life on seizing the moment."

Livingston also mentioned in the Peoria Journal-Star article that he would not be attending the Chicago pre-draft camp at the Moody Bible Institute, instead choosing to have individual workouts.

Livingston averaged 17 points and six assists per game last year in leading Peoria Central to its second consecutive state championship. Blessed with uncommon height, vision and passing abilities, Livingston is the nation's consensus number two high school player.

The decision was part of a Black Monday of sorts for college basketball. In addition to Livingston, two other highly-rated prep players, 6-foot-5 wing JR Smith and 6-foot-9 power forward Al Jefferson, declared for the draft.

If both Livingston and Deng remain in the Draft, Duke will have just eight scholarship players for the 2004-05 season.

Stay tuned to The Chronicle Online at www.chronicle.duke.edu for updates.

Share and discuss “LIVINGSTON DECLARES FOR NBA DRAFT” on social media.