Distance runners lead track in late-spring meets

Competing in a number of meets across the southeast in recent weeks, the track and field teams have continued one of the strongest seasons in recent years. Having already qualified 22 women and 10 men for NCAA Regionals at the end of May, the teams will travel to New Haven, Conn. for the ECAC/IC4A Championships, where the women's team is poised for a top showing.

"The women's team has a definite shot at the team title," head coach Norm Ogilvie said."We are probably a top-five team, but if everything breaks your way you could win the thing."

Pole vaulter Brent Warner has the chance to become the first Duke men's star to win three IC4A titles after capturing the indoor crown each of the past two years. After besting his school record by four inches, posting a height of 17-2.75 at the Blue Heaven Classic hosted by North Carolina this past weekend, Ogilvie says that Warner is the favorite to complete the IC4A trifecta.

Also on the men's side, distance runner Nick Schneider is gunning for a sub-four minute mile pace in the men's 1500-meter race. The junior, who has already run a 3:46 this season, will have to shave four seconds off his time to accomplish such a feat.

"His workouts show that he is ready to run 3:42 if he has a good, fast, competitive race," Ogilvie said.M

Schneider placed fourth in the 1500 this past weekend in one of four meets in which the team took part, despite windy conditions that slowed the field.

The women's team is led by its distance runners even though the team will be without Paige Miller due to injury. Shannon Rowbury could not cross the tape first, but still broke her own school record Saturday at North Carolina, running a 4:17.41 in the 1500-meter race. Rowbury, who finished second, was joined in the event by Sally Meyerhoff. The sophomore posted an NCAA Regional qualifying mark and a personal best time en route to a fourth place finish.

Debra Vento continued an excellent freshman season, tying for first with a high jump mark of 5-8, giving her four first-place finishes on the season.

The women's 800-meter run also continued to be a strong race for the Blue Devils as Lauren Matic and Meaghan Leon crossed the tape first and second, respectively. Both marks qualified the runners for the NCAA Regional meet.

Meyerhoff, Matic and Leon all earned ECAC-qualifying marks at the May 6 Liberty Twilight Qualifier in the 1500, finishing one, two and three, respectively. Matic and Leon each recorded their first ECAC-qualifying marks of the season.

Friday at the NCCU Last Chance Meet, senior Ifey Anoliefo leaped a ECAC qualifying distance with a jump of 19-1.5. The senior failed to hit the qualifying distance in each of her first three jumps and seemed to have just three leaps remaining in her college career. Then, on her fourth attempt, Anoliefo earned a slot in this weekend's field.

"She was staring down the barrel of a gun and came through under pressure," Ogilvie said.

Ogilvie believes six runners and a jumper on the women's team have already qualified for Nationals based on their performance throughout the season. A pair of men, Warner and Schneider, have shots at making the NCAA Finals field with strong Regional performances.

"Those nine all have excellent shots at going to the NCAA which spells out that it has been a banner year because usually we only qualify one or two," Ogilvie said.

Share and discuss “Distance runners lead track in late-spring meets” on social media.