Vitarelli back for 2nd term

After over two hours of speeches and deliberations, the student legislators of Campus Council elected next year's four executive officers at the council's final meeting of the year Thursday night.

Current President Anthony Vitarelli, who ran uncontested, recaptured the office of president, while Damian Denoble, a freshman, squeaked past sophomore Chris Kallmeyer for the vice presidency. Freshman Brittany Greenfield was the last candidate standing in a highly contested race for treasurer, and sophomore Katie Cox will be next year's communications coordinator.

Primed for a second term as the leader of the residential life governing body, Vitarelli listed his top three issues for next year--foremost among them the debate over the quadrangle model, a residential system that espouses more cohesion between students living in the same residential quadrangle. The system was recently adopted as a residential goal by the Office of Residence Life and Housing Services.

"I just want to know what it is," Vitarelli said. "Campus Council can help shape the [quad model] system."

Vitarelli, a junior, also said he hopes the council will overhaul the housing assignment process and work toward empowering the quad councils across campus.

As vice president, Denoble expects to play a large role in crafting policy resolutions concerning residential life across campus. As a freshman, Denoble has only lived on East Campus, but he said he believes he has the skills to fulfill the duties of his new position.

"Before I ran, I asked myself what West Campus residence life is like," Denoble said. "If anyone could have a bird's eye view of what residential life across campus is like, I have it."

Vitarelli expressed confidence in Denoble.

"Damian is going to dominate next year," Vitarelli said. "As a freshman, he already has an exceptionally comprehensive understanding of every issue. He has a lucid vision for this organization and I trust him without question to direct the policy committee next year."

Denoble, like Vitarelli, has put a high priority on better defining the quad model and also wants to tackle the issue of campus safety.       

"Security is a big issue, and it's going to be one of the first and foremost," he said.

Greenfield beat four other candidates to earn the position of treasurer, as she vowed to improve the financial and programming practices of Duke's quadrangle councils.

"I think my first and foremost responsibility will be to establish a guiding set of suggestions for quads," Greenfield said. "They have different categories they have to fulfill within their budgets, but the lines that define them are very cloudy. I'd also like to give [quadrangles] a better idea of what are good programs, and which ones work better than others."

Cox, who eclipsed a close friend in junior Katherine Robinson to win the position of communications coordinator, said she looks forward to providing an array of programs that students will truly appreciate. As communications coordinator, she will serve as the chair of the Programming Committee of Campus Council next year.

"Student involvement is key," Cox said. "I want to be in the middle of a group of students telling me what [programs] they want to see."

IN OTHER BUSINESS:

Senior Mark Pike, co-chair of the Last Day of Classes Committee, announced that the final price for this year's LDOC T-shirt will be $5. Each person who buys a shirt will be entered in a raffle for an all-expenses-paid spring break trip next year.

Share and discuss “Vitarelli back for 2nd term” on social media.