Letters to the Editor: DSG unfairly criticized

Another scathing diatribe on DSG in The Chronicle. I am shocked. Except no, not really. DSG-abuse in this publication flows so readily that the real shocker would be the words, "I'm unhappy with DSG because I haven't bothered to do anything with it."

Joost Bosland's column last Thursday disappointed me. I'm not writing to take a side one way or another, but just to point out the overwhelming apathy of this campus. Bosland is quick to point out that voter turnout was "again pathetically low." Why? Because to Duke students, Duke Student Government is "not worth their time."

So let me get this straight. We expect (no, demand!) a representative body that fully and actively caters to our needs and is comprised of people of our choosing. And we want it all to happen while we sit back and hope that the handful who voted happen to elect people we like.

I think it's easy to forget that DSG is not some external entity of mysterious individuals, sucking up funds and passing resolutions. DSG is made up of Duke students, chosen by Duke students. Each of us is empowered with the capability to make DSG do whatever we want and yet so many opportunities to make change are passed by.

Additionally, it's easy to take DSG for granted. Its work can be invisible and sometimes just overlooked. (K-Ville anyone?) In a general sense, it provides an organized avenue by which student concerns can be voiced and addressed. Whether or not that mechanism functions is up to you.

Bosland is right. Pasha Majdi deserves your support. As do each of the new VPs. They deserve your respect, your attention and your participation in DSG. Run or apply for a position, vote in every election, spout off in public forum and e-mail your reps. If all that happens and you're still unhappy, THEN write to The Chronicle and complain about it.

Eileen Kuo

Trinity '05

Share and discuss “Letters to the Editor: DSG unfairly criticized” on social media.