Letters: DMS Responds to Criticism

Duke University places a high value on improving accessibility campus-wide. Over the past four years it has been my pleasure to work with many administrators, students, visitors, staff and faculty to explore opportunities to improve and integrate accessibility into University life. A request for a TowerView interview and article, reporting on the many accessibility improvements, challenges and future projects seemed like an excellent opportunity to disseminate valuable information about available disability-related resources. Unfortunately, Emily Almas' recent TowerView article, "Smiling in the Margin," did little in that regard. Citing accessibility problems dating back to 1997 and 1999, and, at times, misrepresenting or oversimplifying complicated issues such as "code," "settlement timeframes" and "ADA compliance," while concluding that the University has offered a "tepid response to the [Department of Justice] settlement," is inaccurate and counterproductive.

Duke's response and commitment to members of the University community who have disabilities has been and will continue to be strong. Does more need to be accomplished? Yes. Are we optimistic? You bet. Anyone having additional questions about the University's accessibility initiatives, or wishing to identify an accessibility barrier or problem, should contact me at m.thomas@duke.edu or call 919-684-8231.

Mary Thomas

Director, Disability Management System

Share and discuss “Letters: DMS Responds to Criticism” on social media.