Letter to the Editor: BSA responds to criticism

Only 40 years ago, the first five African American students were admitted to Duke University. Since then, you will not only witness a large gathering of members of the black community at NPHC organizations' charity balls and the BSA-sponsored Black History Month Speaker (both of which contribute significantly to the Duke community, as well as the greater Durham community), but you will also see us unite in front of the Chapel on Main West Campus to protest discriminatory policies. Black students have a strong presence on this campus, and despite the presence of prospective students, parent or administrators, black students have never ceased being black or hesitated to stand by the legacy left by those who have come before us.

Each year, BSAI serves as an instrument through which we strive to continue that legacy--a legacy grounded in community. The Black Student Alliance Invitational is a weekend designed to expose prospective black students to the academic, intellectual, social, cultural and residential facets of Duke University. Over the course of the four-day weekend, prospective students sample Duke life through a variety of activities. Upon arrival, students are taken in by Duke undergraduates. This enables them to witness, firsthand, the life of a Duke student. They also have the opportunity to attend a series of programs where they are introduced to faculty, staff, and students of all backgrounds. While social events, including a karaoke and game night, a fashion show, NPHC's step show, and STUD's BASICS party, are highly attended by both the prospective and current students, there are also required information sessions and faculty and student-led discussions planned by the Admissions office, administrators and the Black Student Alliance. Our goal is to provide prospective students with the facts necessary to make an informed decision about where to attend college.

The opportunities presented to prospective freshman are, in reality, only a glimpse of black student life at Duke. These activities represent the experiences of some black Duke undergraduates; however, we stress that there is no universal black Duke experience. When visiting Duke, it is inevitable that you encounter some aspect of the black community. Whether you come during BSAI weekend, Blue Devil Days, or any other arbitrary day in the school year, you can get a candid view of black student life at Duke University. Indeed, the BSA, fraternities and sororities within the National Panhellenic Council, and all of the predominately black student groups on this campus, including those who contributed to the BSAI weekend, plan programs throughout the school year aimed at fostering a greater sense of community at Duke. Like most communities, we are not perfect; however, we are a community that supports each other, not for the duration of a weekend, but everyday. Performance is not necessary.

Maya Washington

Trinity '04

BSA President

Brandy Canady

Trinity '05

Pascale Thomas

Trinity '05

BSAI Steering Committee Co-Chairs

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: BSA responds to criticism” on social media.