Former Blue Devil faces Serena

One year ago, former Duke tennis star Kelly McCain was preparing to help the Blue Devils win their 15th ACC championship in the last 16 years.

Today, the Tampa, Fla., native will face a much more daunting task, as she takes on second-seeded Serena Williams in the second round of the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, S.C.

McCain, who became only the fifth Blue Devil to be ranked No. 1 nationally in singles, left Duke after compiling a 35-3 record during her sophomore season to play professionally full time. Her ranking has been rising steadily during her first year on the WTA Tour, and she currently sits at No. 176.

McCain received a wild-card entry into this week's $1.3 million event, which features both Serena and Venus Williams, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati.

After upsetting 57th-ranked Arantxa Parra in Monday's action, McCain will meet the former world No. 1 at 7 p.m. tonight. Williams has seen limited action since she underwent surgery on her left knee last season, and she has an 8-1 record in 2004.

Although the clay court surface will neutralize some of Williams' power, the 5-foot-2 McCain will be a heavy underdog. The winner of tonight's match will advance to the third round on Wednesday.

Share and discuss “Former Blue Devil faces Serena” on social media.