Bar mulls alcohol on points

The Bull Durham Bar at the Washington Duke Inn has become a popular venue for Duke students because it offers alcoholic drinks on food points and an exquisitely refined atmosphere. But this summer, administrators at the country club will consider a suspension of the alcohol on points program amid concerns that the Bull Durham is becoming too much like the typical "college bar."

Jim Bressler, director of sales and marketing at the Washington Duke Inn, cited a number of reasons for considering this issue, stressing especially the Bull Durham Bar's obligation to cater to a diverse clientele.

"It hasn't been a negative atmosphere, and the students aren't creating problems for us at the bar--they've actually been great--but there have been time periods when other patrons don't feel comfortable in the area," Bressler said. "I think we have a responsibility to all of our guests here to be responsive to their concerns."

Duke students who frequent the bar expressed dismay at the possible plan.

"I feel like there are other ways to deal with this," said Juan Carlos Monge, a sophomore. "It really hurts all the students at Duke."

Monge also noted that the proximity of the Bull Durham Bar makes a night out safer for students. "I think people like staying on campus [to drink] because they don't have to worry about things like drinking and driving or having to take a cab," he said.

Students have complained that they already have relatively few nightlife options and that the abolition of the Washington Duke Inn's alcohol on points program would exacerbate that problem.

"I definitely feel like I'm being limited, and this [suspension] would just mean things would be even more limited," sophomore Kristen France said.

Bressler conceded that if this opportunity was closed to students, The Washington Duke Inn would not be able to provide an alternative venue for undergraduates to socialize.

"We have very limited facilities here, and there are no options that we could provide students as an alternative to the Bull Durham," he said. "We're in the process of renovating the Bull Durham, but we'll still only have one bar... [so] we'll still have to serve a broad audience of guests, and addressing that can be a challenge."

If the changes are approved, they will not go into effect until the upcoming fall semester, Bressler added.

Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst has been paying close attention to the situation at the Bull Durham Bar, and he said he understands why students appreciate the setting. He added that there has been a void in upscale dining options on campus since the closure of the Oak Room Grille.

"I think the Washington Duke Inn Restaurant and Bar is a really neat atmosphere, and it feels special," Wulforst said. "I think there's a genuine concern on Dining Service's part to provide students a place where they can socialize, have fun and order drinks, and I'm very open-minded about it. We need to think about how we can recreate something like [The Washington Duke Inn Restaurant and Bar] on campus that is within walking distance."

Wulforst noted that an upscale dining option on campus would not be realized for some time. "I've been talking to [Vice President for Student Affairs] Larry Moneta about this specific issue, perhaps setting something up in the West Union building," he added. "It's not going to happen this summer, but probably in the next year and a half."

Share and discuss “Bar mulls alcohol on points” on social media.