Willett arrives as rad-onc chair

Dr. Christopher Willett, professor of radiation oncology, replaced interim chair Dr. Leonard Prosnitz as chair of radiation oncology at Duke University Medical Center Monday. Announced as the successor in December, Willett plans to build on the progress achieved by the young department in recent years.

Specifically, Willett will address the need for infrastructural and educational improvements in the department.

"I think the biggest challenge overall is developing an academic program with successful goals for research and clinical care in this era of very tight financial constraints and being very imaginative and innovative to meet these goals," Willett said. "Our mission is to ensure the best possible care of patients, the development of new and innovative treatments for our patients and the education for our residents, medical students and all of our staff."

One of Willett's most immediate challenges is to oversee the completion of two new major buildings designed to expand the department. According to Dr. Edward Halperin, former chair of radiation oncology, Willett will oversee the conclusion of a $24 million new radiation oncology building to be completed this fall and to participate in the completion of another $6 million new radiation oncology facility, built at Raleigh Community Hospital, to be completed by this summer.

Willett's qualifications will allow him to excel as the new chair.

"He is a nationally recognized figure in the development of treatment protocols for cancer and a recognized clinical researcher," said Halperin, who was instrumental in recruiting Willett from Massachusetts General Hospital. "Duke is very fortunate to have such an individual of Willett's standing joining the department. He is inheriting a program that is ready to be taken to yet a higher level."

Willett, a specialist of gastrointestinal cancers and a graduate from Tufts University School of Medicine, started his career under the current chair of the radiation oncology department at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Medical Center, Dr. Joel Tepper.

"I was strongly influenced by Dr. Tepper," Willett said. "He was an important mentor."

Both Tepper and Willett are optimistic at the chance to work together again.

"I'm looking at this as an opportunity to collaborate," Tepper said. "We have already talked about developing some initiatives to help both departments." He added that there was a possibility of collaboration including Wake Forest University School of Medicine. Currently, the UNC and Duke programs are partnered in educational lecture series and are investigating the possibility of expanding this partnership to clinical trials.

Despite the challenges of the present health care system, Tepper said the significant resources available to Willett will lead to success. "I think Duke should be very pleased that they have recruited someone of his caliber," Tepper said.

Share and discuss “Willett arrives as rad-onc chair” on social media.