Whole lot of hyphens: When genres meld

In the past, most artists have felt the need to characterize themselves with a simple one-word description, whether it be "pop," "rap," "country" or whatever other genre seems to tickle their fancy. But lately, emerging artists seem to have developed an affinity for describing themselves in much more detail, using several hyphenated genres to define their sound.

An example of what we're talking about is emo-rap. Claiming to blend the genres of rap and emo--emo itself consisting of a blend of pop, punk and alternative rock--artists like Atmosphere and Aesop Rock offer introspective and heart-felt lyrics over a beat-box-like background. While lyrics such as "in the days of kings and queens/ I was a jester/ Treat me like a god/ Only treat me like a leper" may differ from those of the average radio-friendly rap artist, Atmosphere's 2003 release "Seven's Travels" sounds more like an Eminem album than a release from emo-punks Thursday.

Limback, meanwhile, advertises itself as a pop-punk-alternative-country band and has landed on several up-and-coming artists lists. While the group's alt-country influence is evident on their sophomore release Hi, Everything's Great, the band seems to rely more on the pop-punk part of their sound, using power chords and harmonies abundantly.

Upon closer analysis, these bands seem to represent not musical entropy, but the omnipresence of a diverse array of genres. Influenced by a plethora of sounds, these hybrid bands are more than willing to infuse their music with traces of others' creations. The bands seem to rely on one main genre, which epitomizes their sound, while adding bits of influences from other genres in order to give their music an additional flair. But, ultimately, such innovative touches as Atmosphere's expansive use of vocabulary and Limback's twangy vocals merely add unique characteristics to already familiar styles.

Share and discuss “Whole lot of hyphens: When genres meld” on social media.