Student Affairs race features fraternity members

In a Duke Student Government race for vice president of student affairs that pits members of three different fraternities against each other, sophomore Brandon Goodwin, junior Adam Katz and sophomore Mark Middaugh have placed varying importance on developing campus social life in their bids for the office.

The candidates are vying for a position that weighs in on most aspects of non-academic student life, including student health, campus social trends and student organization concerns. For the first time this year, campus safety will also fall partially under the jurisdiction of the vice president, and dining--which has always been within the domain of student affairs--will be the responsibility of the newly renamed Campus Services and Athletics Committee.

"Student affairs is about a lot more than alcohol policy," said Elizabeth Dixon, current vice president of student affairs. "It should be more about the Career Center, student health and the multitude of student organizations."

Goodwin, a DSG legislator for the past two years and former vice chair of the East Campus Council, is the lone candidate with experience on the student affairs committee. He said he plans to focus on improving safety through a student committee designed to "put a watchful eye on the [Duke University Police Department]." He criticized the University's spending patterns, specifically citing money spent on Segway scooters while failing to make permanent funding for safe rides from the Blue Zone.

Student health concerns also figure prominently on Goodwin's agenda. "We haven't taken advantage of the online domain," he said, advocating an online appointment system for student health services.

Goodwin, a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity who is also Interfraternity Council's executive vice president of chapter services and director of interim annual review, stressed the importance of including independent students in whatever structure replaces the annual review process of selective living groups.

Will Connolly, a junior and IFC president, pointed to Goodwin's vision as one of his greatest strengths. "He seems to have a really good hold on where undergrads are on campus and what things are important to them, and a good grasp of how to communicate that to administrators," Connolly said.

Goodwin's vision includes maintaining Duke's balanced atmosphere. "We have a unique work hard, play hard environment and if we took away this uniqueness of Duke, we would really lose a lot," he said.

Katz, Alpha Tau Omega social chair for the past two years, emphasized his desire to be an "advocate of the students," reaching out to the community through frequent forums that he will "promote the hell out of."

"I feel like it's not fair to take Duke places without consulting the people who are going to be living here," Katz said.

The majority of Katz's platform focuses on the social scene. He said he would work with administrators to authorize party monitors as qualified bartenders and to decrease the cost of kegs purchased through the University.

He is also committed to increasing the role of the student affairs committee in supporting selective living groups. He suggested that the committee become an "advocate when selectives get in trouble."

He further emphasized the need to develop more student meeting spaces on West Campus for all organizations.

Junior Chris Carlberg, president of ATO, said Katz has been a reliable leader in the organization. "He is always coming up with interesting new activities and events."

As the only candidate without prior DSG experience, Katz said he would bring a fresh perspective to the table, infuse the organization with creativity and better connect with students. "There is a poor communication line between DSG and the students," Katz said. "A lot of DSG is top-down when it should be bottom-up."

Middaugh, a member of the DSG facilities and athletics committee, expressed concern for DUPD's priorities and spoke out against its expansion to the area off East Campus, citing the poor safety record on campus.

"How many more crimes is it going to take to make a change?" Middaugh said. "Why are so many Duke police breaking up parties but not patrolling footpaths?"

Middaugh, a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, has run track since his freshman year but plans to quit at the end of the academic year due to a recent injury. He said student affairs should concentrate on improving the health facilities on campus. Specifically, he advocated an online appointment system, better parking at the student health facility and staffing the East Campus clinic with doctors rather than nurse practitioners.

Alex Niejelow, vice president of facilities and athletics, acknowledged Middaugh's drive and initiative as a senator. "He was an accomplished legislator. He's very thoughtful." he said. "However, I haven't seen Mark in too many leadership positions."

Middaugh said he would like to make DSG's and the administration's decisions more transparent and deepen students' involvement in the project creation process. He plans to rely on mandates from students rather than solely on DSG initiatives.

"DSG has become way too focused on completing projects behind the scenes and then announcing them," Middaugh said.

Share and discuss “Student Affairs race features fraternity members” on social media.