Scroll-Click-Purchase

You have been through it before. It is late at night and you stare captivated at your computer screen. Your heart is beating faster as your mouse navigates the site. Suddenly you hear your door knob turning. You frantically try to close your browser window, but to no avail. Your roommate walks in takes one look at the screen and screams at you in horror, "You're not online shopping AGAIN?!" 

Alas, many a Duke student is seduced by the lure of internet shopping. We cruise Southpoint during the light of day publicly partaking in the occasional excess, yet we still creep home and furtively fill our virtual shopping bags.

Recess strictly believes that addictions (especially shopping addictions) are not wrong if they are done right, so we offer the occasional online addict a guide to the very best places to e-shop.

www.bluefly.com:

Bluefly is Disneyland for guys or gals seeking designer duds at discount prices. It boasts over 350 designers with prices slashed up to 75%. While it can be overwhelming at times, the selection is unparalleled, and the prices are surprisingly affordable.

Pro: Bluefly is so large it is difficult to close your browser window without finding something you want.

Con: Sometimes the images are so small it is hard to see details of an item. Make sure to take the time to check out the grid feature which allows you to zoom in.

www.shopbop.com:

This is undoubtedly an all-time favorite. It has the perfect amount of merchandise to browse as a study break without feeling overwhelmed. Shopbop offers a fabulous selection of Paper denim, Michael Kors, Theory, Diesel, Marc Jacobs and more.

Pro: Check out the collection of Juicy Couture in oodles of styles and colors.

Con: Popular sizes can sell out fast and items have a limited amount of time before they sell out altogether. 

www.inthepinkonline.com:

Everyone knows that nothing can brighten up a gray day faster than Lilly Pulitzer. For under $200 InThePink can have you swathed in a scalloped bottomed mini skirt and matching palm tree logo polo (ties and swim trunks for guys). Those not partial to hot pink starfish and giraffe covered sundresses need not apply.

Pro: InThePink offers the spring, fall and resort collections including shoes, bags and housewares. The prices are amazingly reasonable for Lilly with lots of items on sale.

Con: The cutest styles and most popular sizes disappear as the temperature rises, so log on quickly to get your first picks.

www.net-a-porter.com:

This is the online equivalent of a gushing Saks salesgirl. Not only does net-a-porter offer shopping advice, but it sorts the merchandise by trends and styles. Forget the traditional categories of "skirts" or "evening dresses." This site shows you "ten ways to look like a starlet" as well as lists of the hottest shoes, accessories and ready-to-wear pieces. Click on the pictures to zero in on a particular piece. If the item is not available, net-a-porter will send you an e-mail the second it arrives.

Pro: Pretty much anything you purchase on this site is bound to make you shiver with delight when it arrives at your door. Where else can you make an Alberta Ferretti evening gown yours at the click of a mouse?

Con: Prices? Ouch! While there are several reasonable items, they pale in comparison to the bulk of the merchandise. And make sure you are looking at the right number--prices are listed in dollars, pounds and euros. 

www.delias.com:

Not willing to break the bank on an internet whim, yet you want a quick fix? Delia's may be just what you're looking for. The clothing is always fun and trendy, and the prices cannot be beat.

Pro: Currently, Delia's is offering a spring break special that gives you free shipping for orders of $100 or more.

Con: The quality can be less than optimal, and it is aimed at juniors. Translation? Swallow your pride and buy a size larger than normal.

Share and discuss “Scroll-Click-Purchase” on social media.