Staff Reports: Sports briefing

Fall Sports recruiting Classes Announced

Duke's men's and women's soccer teams, along with the field hockey squad, announced their commitments for 2004. The women's soccer team, which will return 19 letterwinners from this fall, added five recruits. The men's team also signed five players to form the class of 2004. The field hockey team, coming off its first final four appearance, signed six athletes.

Women's tennis MATCHUP SET With OlD Dominion

The tenth-ranked women's tennis team (4-1) opens its home schedule today, as it hosts Old Dominion (3-2) at 4 p.m. at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center.

The Blue Devils have won three matches in a row over No. 36 Indiana, No. 19 Texas A&M and No. 12 Kentucky. Their only loss of the season came January 25th against No. 6 Vanderbilt, but they have won 19 in a row at home and 33 of 34 overall in Durham.

Old Dominion is coming off consecutive losses to Virginia Commonwealth and UVa. The Lady Monarchs are led by junior Nataly Cahana, ranked No. 33 in the nation.

Cahana will match up at the top singles slot with three-time All-American Amanda Johnson. Johnson, ranked fifth nationally, has a 3-2 record in dual match play this spring and recently became only the 15th player in program history to reach 100 wins.

Today's match will also be the home debut of Duke's four-member freshman class composed of No. 64 Jennifer Zika, No. 89 Tory Zawaki, Kristin Cargill and Parker Goyer.

The Blue Devils' homestand will continue on Saturday when they host No. 7 Northwestern at 1 p.m. -- Catherine Sullivan

Share and discuss “Staff Reports: Sports briefing” on social media.