Staff Report: News Brief

Rescheduling classes is profs' call

Faculty members will have the option to reschedule Jan. 26 and Jan. 27 undergraduate classes that were canceled due to snow, according to officials from Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, the Pratt School of Engineering and the Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences.

"Faculty [members] are in the best position to determine if there is need to make up the material [or] lab that was missed and, if so, whether or not a make-up class [or] lab period is needed or [whether] the work can be incorporated into the remaining regularly scheduled class [or] lab periods," wrote Trinity Dean Robert Thompson, Nicholas Dean William Schlesinger and Pratt Senior Associate Dean for Education Tod Laursen in an e-mail to their schools' faculty.

Jan. 26 classes can be rescheduled for Friday, April 23 and Jan. 27 classes can be rescheduled for Thursday, April 22. This will reduce the reading period from four days to two days, according to officials.

Faculty members are instructed to e-mail the Registrar at classroom-reservations@duke.edu if they wish to make up a class. No examinations, quizzes or tests may be given on the make-up class days, and classes may not be made up any other day except April 22 and April 23.

Although an asterisk may need to be affixed to its title, the Last Day of Classes Concert will go on as scheduled April 21.

Pratt professor and dean receive grant for outreach

Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering Kristina Johnson announced that the National Science Foundation has awarded a professor and a dean a $1.4 million, five-year grant to support Pratt's mathematics and science outreach in neighboring elementary and middle schools.

The recipients of the grant are associate professor of the practice of electrical and computer engineering Gary Ybarra and Martha Absher, Pratt's assistant dean for education and outreach.

The grant, entitled Math Understanding through Science Integrated with Curriculum, is a five-year project that partners with Lakewood Elementary School, Rogers-Herr Middle School, Central Elementary School and Orange Charter School with the goal of significantly increasing the number of students who choose science- and engineering-related careers.

Fuqua students win case-writing award

Two students from the Fuqua School of Business won first prize in the social entrepreneurship category at the Kauffman/Angell Center for Entrepreneurship National Case-Writing Competition, which was held at Wake Forest University's Babcock School of Management in January.

Second-year students Victor Abad and Adam Elboim won for their analysis of the growth of the Latino Community Credit Union in Durham, the fastest-growing credit union in the United States. The case provided an in-depth look at the organization's development, with a focus on the correlation between factors such as human resources, location, partnerships and financial sustainability.

In addition to a cash prize, the students were awarded an engraved clock and a plaque, both of which they plan to present to the Fuqua School of Business. The competition aims to help students bridge the gap between theory and practice by examining practical business experiences, and is sponsored by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.

Share and discuss “Staff Report: News Brief” on social media.