Letter to the Editor: Color of "W" T-shirts true Duke blue

I am writing to rebut Assistant Professor Transue's supposition that (the now legendary) "W" T-shirts were a divisive symbol at Cameron. I was one of the 25 to 30 people that came to the FSU game wearing "W" front and center. I had never attended a Duke game before, and frankly, the time pressures of law school were a strong restraint on my ever making it out to K-ville and Cameron. However, like many others, I was excited about the Duke Students For Bush, and was willing to make the sacrifices necessary to attend.

While Sarah Hawkins (Duke Students For Bush President & Founding Member) could have ordered Republican-red shirts to standout in the crowd, she was true to Duke-blue. While my fellow Bush supporters and I could have just held up the Bush-Cheney signs nonstop, we only used them at appropriate intervals so we could participate in the cheers. In fact, the DSFB taught me the traditional cheers, and strongly encouraged me to get into the game.

At the end of the day, the Blue Devils won over more fans, not less... and now I find myself strangely concerned over the Blue Devils continuing contests with Carolina...

John Plecnik Law Student

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Color of "W" T-shirts true Duke blue” on social media.