Laidlaw named young trustee

Amid an ARAMARK taste test with platters of sliced turkey, rolls of roast beef and mounds of pink colored honey ham, the Duke Student Government and the Intercommunity Council selected Katie Laidlaw, a senior from Katy, Texas, as young trustee Wednesday night. "Katie from Katy" will serve a three-year term on the University's Board of Trustees.

"I can't believe it," Laidlaw said. "I am just so excited about the opportunity."

DSG Vice President for Community Interaction Andrew Wisnewski said that the selection went smoothly. Laidlaw was one of three finalists--including Taylor Collison and Alex Garinger, editor of The Chronicle--in the running for the position.

"This was truly an honor to be considered with Taylor and Alex," Laidlaw added. "I am so honored."

Before senators and council members voted, each finalist delivered a speech and answered questions from the audience during a 15 minute period.

In her address to the group, Laidlaw said that she would offer "energy, focus and enthusiasm" for the position. She discussed interdisciplinary research, campus social life and what the school could learn from other institutions.

Responding to a question about Durham's problems during the question and answer period, Laidlaw said that the University had a vested interested in helping the city overcome many of its crime and economic difficulties.

"Durham is kind of a company town," she said, referring to the fact that many Durham residents are employed by the University. "Duke should educate its students so they have a social conscience."

Quesions to the candidates ranged from their post-graduate plans to whether or not the Board should work on faculty political diversity.

"I was very pleased with the breadth of questions and the candor of the finalists' answers," Wisnewski said.

DSG amended its constitutional bylaws last semester to define election of the young trustee as a majority of votes, not plurality. The distinction was never explicit in the previous rules.

"A majority was met," Wisnewski said. As of press time, there were no election complaints filed.

IN OTHER BUSINESS:

DSG approved the senatorial appointment of Lian Huang, who was subsequently sworn into office. The body also chartered the Eastern Block student group.

The senate also passed funding requests, presented by the Student Organization Finance Committee Chair Kristen Jackson, for several campus groups--the Black History Month Committee of the Black Student Alliance, the Newman Catholic Student Center, the Chinese American Intercollegiate Conference, Defining Movement dance troupe and Phi Beta Sigma sorority.

Share and discuss “Laidlaw named young trustee” on social media.