A global pespective on Migration...

Here at Duke we grumble and complain about having to make the trek back and forth between East and West campuses on a daily basis. Most of us avoid going to so-called "far away" buildings on Science Drive; we don't even know where the Center for Documentary Studies is located because it isn't visible from a bus stop.

But if you take the time to visit the Center for Documentary Studies sometime before March 28, the current exhibit by Brazilian photographer Sebastiao Salgado may just help to put the journey across Duke's campus in perspective.

Salgado has traveled to 39 different countries in order to compile his set of images of human suffering, Migrations. His goal documenting and exhibiting his experiences is to share the information he was able to gather with others who do not have the opportunity to visit other countries. His black and white images depict the hardships faced by migrants forced to leave their homes and take dangerous trips in search of a better or safer life. Countries all over the globe, from Mexico to Afghanistan, are represented among the images on display at the CDS.

Salgado's pieces include emotionally-charged portraits that help spectators identify with the victims and exquisitely-detailed backgrounds that add to the understanding of world situations. For this reason, many critics have condemned Salgado for trying to soften and beautify atrocity.

On the other hand, the aesthetic element of Migrations allows the viewers of Salgado's work to examine the hardships faced by fellow humans without being overwhelmed by the shock value of witnessing atrocity. Because the artistry gives viewers the ability to emotionally and intellectually grasp what they are seeing, Salgado is more effective in building connections between his viewers, privileged Americans, and the victims he uses as subjects in his photographs.

His effort is well worth a visit.

Migrations: Humanity in Transition will be showing through March 28th.

Share and discuss “A global pespective on Migration...” on social media.