Game Commentary: Landlord repossesses paint: shot blocking, post play by Williams gives Duke win over UNC

CHAPEL HILL -- With 35 seconds remaining in overtime, Raymond Felton settled at the top of the key as Daniel Ewing got into his defensive stance. The Tar Heels were trailing by one point.

�An inside-out crossover to the right gave Felton the step he needed, as he exploded toward the right side of the paint. He took off from the box, poised to shoot the ball with his right hand. But as he went up, Shelden Williams slid into his path, leapt into the air and extended his right arm in Felton's path. So the UNC point guard had to adjust his shot, lofting it much higher than he would have done without the shot-blocking presence of Williams in the paint. As a result, the ball missed the rim and the shot clock ran out on the Tar Heels.

�"I told Shelden after the game, 'Your post defense was the best when most people would play their worst,'" head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "That shot-blocking presence--it's huge."

�That play served as the most critical defensive stop in a game marked by two offenses that were nearly unstoppable.

�"There are just too many great things going on out there," Krzyzewski said. "You are playing defense, and they are playing defense. Then you can't stop them, they can't stop us."

�Williams blocked a total of five shots in the game, the most critical of which came in overtime. On North Carolina's first possession in the extra period, Williams rejected a Sean May dunk attempt, an opportunity upon which Duke capitalized with two Williams free throws. Shortly thereafter, with the Blue Devils leading 77-76, Williams tossed a Noel jumper about 10 feet toward half court, which would turn into another scoring possession for the nation's top-ranked team.

�And though Williams' defensive stalwartness could be questioned because of the exceptional night his Tar Heel equivalent and defensive assignment had--May finished with 15 points and 21 rebounds--Williams' mere presence in the interior still managed to alter the course of the game. How? Because the other four players on the court can be confident that in playing tight defense, knowing that if they happen to get beat, The Landlord will be there to compensate. He's an insurance policy of sorts, but he's actually reliable. And if last night's performance didn't solidify him as one of the top three centers in the NCAA, then nothing will.

�In a game that was defined by marvelous individual and team performances, Williams' play stood above the rest. He was efficient on offense, taking his time when delivered the ball, feeling out his defenders before making drop steps, successfully utilizing a baby-hook and a deceptive up-and-under move. He would finish with 22 points, all of which allowed for just a little bit more space for Duke's perimeter players to go to work.

�The Oklahoma native is also invaluable because he is consistent, a sound decision-maker, and a calming presence on the court. He is not outspoken by any stretch of the imagination, but he has no need to be--he's too good to worry about running his mouth.

�Instead, he'll continue to run the gamut, just as Duke has done in going a remarkable 8-0 in the first half of ACC play.

Share and discuss “Game Commentary: Landlord repossesses paint: shot blocking, post play by Williams gives Duke win over UNC” on social media.