Duke comes in 14th at Mercedes-Benz Tourney

Finishing the fall season with a phenomenal victory in sunny California at the Nelson Invitational, the No. 16 Duke men's golf team came into this week's spring season opening tournament looking to build upon its strong fall finish as they strive for a national championship. In order to continue their success, the Blue Devils would have to overcome a very strong field that included the top three teams in the nation, the Florida Gators, the Clemson Tigers and the Georgia Bulldogs, respectively. Unfortunately after two rounds, it appeared as though the snow and freezing rain that has characterized Durham weather for the last month has thrown the Blue Devils a little out of synch.

During the first round, where temperatures were low and winds were high, no one in the field broke 70. But Duke opened fairly strongly with a team total of 314, which landed them eighth position. In the following two rounds, the Blue Devils carded consecutive scores of 300 giving them a three-day total of 914 landing them 14th place. Looking back on this week's performance, head coach Rod Myers noted Durham's weather as an obstacle his team had to overcome.

"With the course covered in snow and ice," Myers commented, "it was difficult to get out there and prepare."

Besides the weather, Myers points to the loss of star player, sophomore Ryan Blaum, as a huge contributor to the Blue Devils' struggles this week. According to Myers, Blaum suffered a stress fracture and will be in a brace for at least six weeks.

"Going into this season," Myers said, "we were looking for a solid fifth score. Losing Ryan made us have to look for not only a fifth player but also a strong fourth."

Duke sophomore Nathan Smith, who led the Blue Devils with a three-day total of 220 and a 13th place finish, believes that senior Bobby Castor may have filled one of those spots.

"Bobby really stepped it up this week," Smith said, "he really played solid those last two rounds."

Castor finished second on the Duke squad with a score of 229 giving him a tie for 45th position.

Share and discuss “Duke comes in 14th at Mercedes-Benz Tourney” on social media.