Whitley's playing season over

Duke junior Wynter Whitley, who had been sidelined most of the 2003-2004 season after having reconstructive ankle surgery in July, has decided not to play basketball for the Blue Devils for the remainder of the year.

"I love Duke and being a part of the women's basketball team here, but with everything that has happened in my life over the last two years, I have lost the passion to play basketball and need some time away from the game," Whitley said.

The Atlanta, Ga., native still plans to remain a part of the women's basketball program, and she will serve as a student assistant coach under Gail Goestenkors. Her duties will include scouting, film exchange and breakdown of game tape.

Before coming to Duke, Whitley was named the Georgia Player of the Year in 2001 after averaging 22.0 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.0 steals per game as a senior at Holy Innocents Episcopal School. She was ranked as high as the No. 3 recruit in the country by Full Court Press and was a second-team Parade Magazine All American.

Whitley began her career as a Blue Devil in impressive fashion, starting her first 20 games. She established herself as one of the best post players on the team and earned a spot on the ACC All-Freshman team.

After scoring 7.8 points and collecting 4.9 rebounds per game during her first year at Duke, Whitley's production slipped to 4.4 points and 2.8 rebounds during her sophomore campaign. The 6-foot-2 forward appeared in only four games this season, averaging 1 point and 1.8 rebounds in those contests.

"We are very supportive of Wynter and the decision she has made," Goestenkors said. "She will remain a part of our Duke family and will still be involved with the team as much as she can."

Whitley is on schedule to graduate in May 2005, and she plans to use her break from playing to refocus on her academics and potentially rejoin the Blue Devils on the court next season.

"I am going to concentrate on my studies and try to get reenergized for a possible return to the court my senior year," she said.    

Share and discuss “Whitley's playing season over” on social media.