Smith to transfer; recruits signed

Junior Adam Smith, who went from Duke's starting quarterback to being benched under then-head coach Carl Franks, will transfer from the University to a Division I-AA program so he can participate in football this fall without having to sit out a year.

"A lot of stuff went down, to use nice words, that just wasn't cool," Smith told the Contra Costa Times. "I pretty much knew I didn't want to be [at Duke], but I was still trying to stick it out."

As a sophomore, Smith started all 12 games and passed for 2,103 yards and 12 touchdowns. A drop-back passer, Smith was used more sparingly when Ted Roof took over the football program in October, as the Blue Devils began to use a run-heavy and option attack.

"I can't really say [I've narrowed] down to anybody," Smith said. "I'm still trying to figure out where I want to go and what I want to do."

Smith also told the Times that he intends to graduate with a bachelor's degree in history this spring.

-- Mike Corey

Five additional recruits sign on

Head football coach Ted Roof has garnered five new recruits to fill the class of 2004.

Over the past ten days, the Blue Devils have logged commitments from cornerback Jabari Marshall, athlete Chris Davis, and linebacker Alfred Williams from Atlanta, Ga., wide receiver Ryan Wood from Buford, Ga., and wide receiver Jomar Wright from Duncan, S.C.

Davis, 6-foot and 178-pounds, was a jack of all trades for state champions Marist High School in Atlanta, Ga. last year. Listed as the 70th best safety prospect in the nation by theinsiders.com, Davis played running back, safety, wide receiver, and cornerback.

Marshall, a 5-foot-11, 169-pound cornerback, recorded 757 return yards, 35 tackles, and three interceptions for Mays High School in Atlanta, Ga. A track star as well as a gridiron standout, Marshall reports having run a 4.38 40-yard dash in an interview with theinsiders.com. Additionally, Marshall competed in the 100-meter dash at a national track meet.

Williams had 125 tackles, six sacks, and one interception for Westlake High School in Atlanta, Ga. Gifted with good speed and size, the 6-foot-2, 245-pounder could play either defensive end or middle linebacker for the Blue Devils.

Wright, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound wide receiver, broke the Byrnes High School reception record by catching 103 passes for 1,824 yards and 20 touchdowns. His performance netted him a spot on the South Carolina all-state team and a roster spot in the North Carolina-South Carolina Shrine Bowl. He will be the second Byrnes High School product on Duke's roster, joining freshman cornerback John Talley.

Wood, a 6-foot-1, 178-pound wide receiver, hauled in 30 passes for 555 yards and three touchdowns, according to theinsiders.com. An excellent student with a 4.02 GPA, Wood plays for a Buford, Ga. High School team that has won three consecutive state championships, all in undefeated seasons. Future Blue Devil Zach Smith and highly coveted defensive tackle Neil Brown are Wood's teammates. Also, Wood's father Dexter is the Buford High School coach.

The additions give Roof a total of 20 players from the class of 2004. It is unclear how many more scholarships the Blue Devils expect to dole out; however, it is believed that a number of possible Duke recruits such as San Antonio, Texas athlete Patrick Bailey will announce their commitments later this week.

-- Michael Mueller

Share and discuss “Smith to transfer; recruits signed” on social media.