Panthers unite fans with Bowl showing

If anything, the state of North Carolina has been spoiled with sports success. The Tar Heel state has been a breeding ground for basketball talent since Dr. Naismith invented the game, producing talents such as Michael Jordan and Jerry Stackhouse. The state's college basketball programs rival, if not exceed, the prestige of any other state. North Carolina sports have even been immortalized in films such as "Bull Durham," a movie that made the Durham Bulls the most famous AAA baseball team in America.

But football, America's most popular sport, has never resonated with North Carolina citizens for the simple reason that they rarely have a reason to get riled up for a game of pigskin. That is until now.

Two years after a 1-15 season, the Carolina Panthers will play the New England Patriots for the right to become Super Bowl Champions this Sunday. While ACC basketball is currently in full swing, there is little doubt that the citizens of North Carolina will be giving the Panthers their undivided attention.

"This whole week is about the Panthers," said self-described "big Panthers fan" Zeb Smathers, a Trinity Junior from Canton, N.C.. "As soon as church is over on Sunday the Panthers hat is on and it's one big party."

Adding fire to the Panthers fans' fuel earlier in the playoffs was Philadelphia Daily News sports columnist Will Bunch. Bunch bluntly insulted the city of Charlotte and the state of North Carolina with nearly every word of his Jan. 12, "In our mind there's nothing in Carolina" article, demeaning the state's politicians, culture, and economy. He even pointed out that Connection Charlotte's online list of "100 things to do" included "visit the main branch of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Library" and "go shoe-shopping at DSW."

Needless to say, Panther fans were not pleased. North Carolina State Senator Elizabeth Dole assuaged some of the state's grief by writing a letter to the editor of the Philadelphia Daily News that politely pointed out many great things about the city, while also throwing in a shot or two at Philadelphia.

"As a bonus, remember that Panther fans are well-behaved--they don't throw iceballs or batteries at players during football games," Dole wrote in obvious reference to the raucous Philadelphia fans.

Panther supporters' anger did not completely subside, however, until Carolina defeated the Eagles 14-3 in Philadelphia in the NFC Championship game.

So how did the Panthers go from the league's worst team to be playing in America's biggest sporting event in just two years? A large part of the credit has to be given to head coach John Fox, who is in his second year with the organization. Fox has put in place a very simplistic system that involves a smashmouth defense and a mistake-free, run-oriented offense that has allowed defensive end Julius Peppers and running back Steven Davis to dominate opponents. In addition to surprisingly productive play from quarterback Jake Delhomme and wide receivers Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad, the system allowed the Panthers to win nine games by six or less points this season.

"For those of you who say we're not exciting?" Panthers offensive coordinator Dan Henning said to Sports Illustrated. "Well, we're going to the Super Bowl."

Share and discuss “Panthers unite fans with Bowl showing” on social media.