Letters to the Editor: Al-Bulushi paraphrasing is misleading

I want to bring your attention to a very misleading section of Yousuf Al-Bulushi's column, "Let's Talk About Sex, Baby."

In the first paragraph of his column, Al-Bulushi maintains that the "Guardian newspaper of the United Kingdom reported that Chinese workers in Israel were forced to sign a contract that stipulated they would not have sex with Israelis." And that "the apartheid-like no-sex policy for the thousands of Chinese workers forced to sign a contract should throw up red flags around the world for those who choose to do business with Israel."

Al-Bulushi's very loose paraphrasing unfortunately fails to mention that the article in the Guardian refers to the practices of only a single company and not, as Al-Bulushi would like us to believe, every company in the entire country of Israel. His language is purposefully vague on this account. The Guardian article also never mentions how many Chinese workers do work at this particular company. So how Al-Bulushi has the authority to tell us of the plight of "thousands of Chinese workers forced to sign a contract " is truly a mystery.

I do agree with Al-Bulushi about one thing. A red flag should indeed be thrown up. Don't believe everything you read in The Chronicle. Go back and check the facts yourself before subscribing to misleading rhetoric simply used to further an opinion or political end.

Scott Hechinger

Trinity '04

Share and discuss “Letters to the Editor: Al-Bulushi paraphrasing is misleading” on social media.