Letter to the Editor: Panhellenic Council defends rush procress

In response to Joost Bosland's column in Thursday's paper: It never ceases to amaze me how folks with no ties to the sorority community become such experts about it!

Really, Bosland, as a sophomore male, how did you do it? Did you bug our phone to listen in on cross-country conferences to decide our registration policy? Did you hide in the kitchen until 1 a.m. all those nights as I weeded out space points events and edited recruitment rules? Or was that you in the blond wig at the Infraction Workshop? You sure are sneaky.But as an expert on Panhellenic life and a man who evidently reads the "greekspeak" dictionary religiously, why do you insist on calling it "Rush"? Even our youngest members know that term is outdated and inappropriate for the process today.

I truly appreciate your insight. As the Vice President of Membership for the Duke Panhellenic Association, I oversee all aspects of Formal and Informal Recruitment, and yet you still managed to enlighten me!

I had no idea that our numbers were "down" this year! In fact, I was under the naïve impression that since they matched averages from the past five years, that meant we were holding steady. But maybe as a math major I'm a little rusty at calculating a mean.

To the woman who chose Delta Gamma over Tri-Delta, such a scandal you have created! To choose one group of beautiful, intelligent women over another group of beautiful, intelligent women! Next time, don't be so discriminating.

I'm not exactly sure why so many non-greek columnists have decided to put in their (negative) two cents about sorority recruitment this semester. I do know that most of their conceptions are misguided by an innocent lack of perspective.

If you would like to spend some time in the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life with me or any other member of the Panhellenic Executive Council, please let us know. Indeed, we all have "impressive resumes and lively spirits," but most importantly, a valid perspective on Greek life.

Anna Burkhead

Trinity '04

The writer is the vice president of the

Duke Panhellenic Association

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Panhellenic Council defends rush procress” on social media.