Letter to the Editor: Don't sterotype sororities

In response to Shadee Malaklou's columns, they just need to stop.  

While her underlying message of individuality for Duke women is admirable, the way in which she "advises" the women is not. First came the article about being promiscuous and dropping the pearls for the stilettos. I let that slide. Unfortunately, I have been judged many times concerning my sexual behavior, my dancing on tables, and my wardrobe. But guess what? I deal with it. I don't have to write an article making myself feel better for my actions. I don't need to tell my fellow classmates to do what I do, simply so that I won't be looked at as a tramp. I just accept that everyone has been raised differently, and no matter how many times you tell people to worship Victoria's Secret or carry a black book, it won't change anything.  

This entire notion of "collar-popping" and pearls is certainly seen at Duke, but what about the girls like me, who wear sweatpants to class? Am I a minority? Looking around my classes, I think not. But I didn't say anything about Malaklou's comments - the Duke student body did for me.  

Then came the article about sororities.  Guess what Shadee, I'm in one. In fact, one that you attempted to tear apart. It's strange to me that someone who has been at this school for a few months and not gone through recruitment is telling everyone how awful it is. Who's being the judge now? I'll admit, when recruitment began, I was a skeptic.  

Going from room to room meeting girls seemed to me like a bitter hell. And, well, it was pretty close. But much like studying for a test is hell until you get a good grade; the end result of recruitment was amazing. Until then, I did not know many girls on this campus, but after a week of being "herded," I joined a sorority where I was accepted. I now have a new group of friends that I would not have met were it not for this "disgusting process." And these girls aren't just drinking partners. They are girls that listen to my problems and would leave fornicating on a dance floor to take me home in a heartbeat. They are girls who console me when I have problems at home.  They are girls who will call me just to talk, not because they need something from me.   

And I would do the same for them. Because that's what sororities are, Shadee. A family, where there are things you like and hate, but most of all a group of people you can count on.

Just because I'm in a sorority doesn't mean my black book is gone. In fact, it's doubled. I don't own anything pink, but I'll be honest with you, stilettos hurt my feet.  And what is this idea that blondes rule? I'm ethnic and proud of it. Being Greek and Italian, I have curves, and a lot of them. I sure as hell am not a size two, and if I was, I'd just buy another Big Mac. I am an individual and I don't feel the need to conform.

This school has made me love myself and my uniqueness even more. It just hurts me that someone else proud of her individuality is a hypocrite. While she promotes a message of individuality, it seems that she wants people to adopt her standards, rather than cherishing their own.

Eleni Theodosiou-Pisanelli

Trinity '06

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Don't sterotype sororities” on social media.