Duke crashes boards, Terps

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- J.J. Redick was unfazed by the derision of nearly 18,000 screaming Maryland fans, and his shooting touch and tenacity helped the men's basketball team fend off a late second-half surge by Maryland en route to a 68-60 win last night.  

When the Terrapins pulled to within three points of Duke on a Nik Caner-Medley trey with just under five minutes remaining, Redick, who already had 19 points, took over the game. The sophomore shook his defender with a ballfake and pulled up for a three-pointer which fell through the hoop, giving Duke a six-point lead. 

"I like to play with emotion," Redick said. "I can't explain it any other way." 

In the game's remaining four minutes, Redick logged two rebounds and a steal. Even more impressive, Redick also nailed four free throws to seal the game once Maryland head coach Gary Williams' squad resorted to fouls, as Terrapin fans howled "F--- you, J.J." 

"You put [Redick] on the line, you might as well put two points on the floor." Caner-Medley said after the game. 

Duke's win at Maryland was its first in three years, and it came on the strength of Redick's near-perfect (five-for-six) three point shooting, as well as his flawless nine-for-nine mark from the charity stripe, which helped him post a team-high 26 points. The entire Blue Devil squad played relentless basketball, posting a season-high 24 offensive rebounds, which allowed head coach Mike Krzyzewski's squad to log 71 field goal attempts to Maryland's 59.

Redick's performance was not the only impressive or versatile effort from a Duke player, as freshman forward Luol Deng tallied 13 points and 12 rebounds, while senior point guard Chris Duhon had eight points, eight assists and seven rebounds, including a lunging finger-roll to help Duke pull away in the waning moments of the second half. 

"Late in the game, when both teams were tired, he was determined to make a play for us," Krzyzewski said. "It wasn't always pretty, but you have to make a play; he was a great senior leader tonight." 

Maryland was paced by 21 points from Caner-Medley, including 11 of Maryland's final 16 points. The sophomore also logged eight boards and two late-game blocks.  

Duke led for the game's last 36 minutes--including leads that peaked at 14 points--but Maryland was able to close the gap with dead-eye shooting from Caner-Medley and sophomore guard John Gilchrist, as well as stifling defense in the paint that limited Duke center Shelden Williams to a quiet six-point performance. 

Duke's lead shrunk shortly before halftime, as Maryland put up six points in 64 seconds to send Duke to the lockers with a 35-29 lead. 

"Maryland played with all their heart, and they put themselves in a position to win," Krzyzewski said. "We had to respond to that; I think our kids did."

Share and discuss “Duke crashes boards, Terps” on social media.