Campus Council considers quiet hours again

You've waited three years to throw your roommate a party for her 21st birthday. You've decorated your Central Campus apartment, invited over a few friends, and settle down to what you hope will become an enjoyable Saturday evening. Soon, a knock at the door brings not the pizza delivery man you expect but a uniformed officer.

"Noise violation," he says.

Campus Council President Anthony Vitarelli opened a discussion about the school's current quiet hours policy at the council's meeting Thursday night. He called for the development of a resolution to more clearly identify a policy that is both "respectful and fair to students."

Vitarelli, a junior, said Director of Residence Life and Housing Services Eddie Hull asked the council to help determine a policy which students would honor and enjoy.

Members plan to draft a resolution with possible changes, such as establishing noise-tolerant hours on Central Campus like those currently in place on East and West Campuses. The current quiet hours policy establishes designated noise tolerance hours for both of those campuses but requires that Central maintain quiet hours 24-hours a day.

Members raised concerns over the inability for Central students to hold small social gatherings in their apartments on weekend nights because of the current regulations.

"I think we need to [work] with the Graduate and Professional Student Council on how we can go about enabling Central students to have fun on Friday and Saturday nights," said communications coordinatorPasha Majdi, a junior.

Campus Council also proposed a system of conflict resolution for noise complaints. Many students presently turn to the police to settle issues of concern over excess noise. The group, however, hopes it can develop a system that can better foster community and yet resolve noise offenses without involving officers.

"We should suggest students contact the roommate or an RA first," Vitarelli said.

Vitarelli also proposed that the council work with Hull to assign discretion over the quiet hours policy and its violations to RLHS. Currently, the policy is a function of the Dean of Students' office.

IN OTHER BUSINESS:

Campus Council decided not to renew its funding for the Lil' Sibs Weekend event, traditionally held every spring for the younger siblings of current undergraduates. They decided that the small number of students who traditionally participate, cost and alternative social activities forced the decision.

The council will also be hosting "True and Blue" spirit activities before and during the women's basketball team's game against Tennessee Sunday.

Share and discuss “Campus Council considers quiet hours again” on social media.