News Briefs

Snyderman honored for integrative medicine work

Duke University Health System Chancellor and CEO Ralph Snyderman has received the inaugural Bravewell Leadership Award, which recognizes innovators of integrative medicine for their efforts to transform the culture of health care by establishing better methods of treating the whole person.

Respected journalist Walter Cronkite presented Snyderman with the award at the Regent Wall Street Hotel Nov. 13.

"I am so honored to be the first recipient of the Bravewell Leadership award," Snyderman said. "The field of integrative medicine continues to grow rapidly and I plan to continue my support of this important area of health care not only at Duke but at other centers throughout the U.S."

MLA gives professor a prize

The Modern Language Association of America announced Dec. 1 that English professor Maurice Wallace has received the second annual William Sanders Scarborough Prize. The prize is awarded for an outstanding scholarly study of black American literature or culture.

ECE to pioneer new curriculum

The National Science Foundation has awarded $100,000 to the the electrical and computer engineering department to develop a new undergraduate curriculum. A department-wide team will be headed by principal investigator Leslie Collins, an associate professor of ECE.

"The goal of the new effort is to capitalize on the research strengths of the Pratt [School of Engineering] faculty and integrate the four key fields of electrical and computer engineering--circuits and devices, signals and systems, electromagnetics and computer engineering," wrote Pratt Dean Kristina Johnson in an e-mail.

After the conclusion of the one-year grant, the department will apply for a follow-up three-year, $1.5-million award.

Student paper on neck wins

Biomedical engineering graduate student Carol Chancey received the best student paper award for her full-length manuscript, published in the Stapp Car Crash Journal, at the 47th annual meeting of the Stapp Car Crash Conference.

Her paper, "Improved Estimation of Human Neck Tensile Tolerance: Reducing The Range of Reported Tolerance Using Anthropometrically Correct Muscles, Numerical Optimization, and Physiologic Initial Conditions" challenges contemporary understanding of the strength of the neck. Pratt Dean Kristina Johnson wrote that the findings may impact the design of safety equipment in the years to come.

Share and discuss “News Briefs” on social media.