Letter to the Editor: Musselwhite's proposal 'dangerous'

I'm inclined to agree that self-segregation is a problem at Duke, but Paul Musselwhite's final solution to this problem is at best naive in its analysis and at worst disturbing in its implementation. The specter of unthinking judgment looms large in his ignorant take on the effects of affirmative action at this university. Duke accepts students based on their overall ability to succeed at this institution; a concept encompassed by critical thinking ability (as demonstrated in application essays), character (letters of recommendation), GPA and a host of other criteria in addition to, if not over and above, one's SAT score.

The veiled desire of Musselwhite's letter is that in order to end self-segregation, Duke must accept fewer minority--specifically black--applicants, and promote assimilation rather than multiculturalism in order to more properly pursue "academic excellence." In short, his aim is to achieve academic excellence by wiping out any traces of minority presence on this campus.

Such xenophobia is more dangerous to the academic environment than any policy of affirmative action. I urge Musselwhite to pass judgment on the academic excellence of this university based on the ability of its students as independent critical thinkers and intellectual peers, and not simply their SAT scores.

Uzo Mba

Trinity '04

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Musselwhite's proposal 'dangerous'” on social media.