Bassett draws varied interest

When it comes to an explanation of the Bassett Affair, students are doing a lot of listening, but little talking.

For Duke faculty and administrators, however, the significance of the Bassett Affair runs deep. They consider the episode to be one of the defining events in Duke's history, as then-Trinity College demonstrated support for academic freedom at a time when few would.

"This is one of the proudest moments in Duke's history and it was a foundation for all the other proud moments in Duke's history," said Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences William Chafe. "It was one of the two or three most important decisions made in academic history."

John Thompson, chair of the history department, believes the affair deserved a special place on Duke's mantle.

"In our academic hall of fame, supporting Bassett is one of our most important trophies," Thompson said.

President Nan Keohane said the University should continue to express and uphold the central value of the affair--academic freedom--as it remains a defining aspect of academic life.

"The impact on our University still resonates," Keohane said. "It is as relevant today as it was in 1903."

Students, however, remain largely uninformed as to the actual history of events, the importance of the affair and its relevance to their lives. Although most demonstrated an understanding of some of the broad issues involved, few knew that the status of free speech was at the heart of the affair.

Meredith Condict, a freshman living in Bassett Dormitory, said she was aware of the affair because during orientation she and other students received tee-shirts commemorating the historic episode's 100 year anniversary. Still, she was puzzled as to what impact the affair had on the University.

"I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with diversity," Condict said.

While Condict was not far off, other students could recall very little. Drew Crow, also from Bassett, said that he knew that the affair had been discussed during orientation, but could not remember any details.

Gunther Peck, an associate professor of public policy, said it was important for students to understand the history behind freedom of speech at Duke.

"They certainly should have knowledge of the story in how it relates to present day circumstances. It sheds a light on what is vital and special about a liberal arts education," Peck said.

Administrators were conscious of the gap in student awareness regarding the affair and suggested that the commemoration could be quite useful in educating students.

"It is a concern for us," Provost Peter Lange said. "The anniversary of the affair provides us with an opportunity to try to address some of that lack of knowledge. We are trying to make use of it to educate students both about Duke and the issues of freedom of speech more generally."

Marina Peterson, a senior, suggested increased discussion of the affair in classrooms as one way to demonstrate its significance to students.

"Maybe professors could take responsibility for it too. If it's that important maybe they could bring it up in class," Peterson said. "That would show [the significance of the affair] more than publishing it in a newspaper."

Andrew Collins, Ian Crouch and Karen Hauptman contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Bassett draws varied interest” on social media.