News Briefs

DUMC chancellor receives Bravewell Leadership Award

Dr. Ralph Snyderman, chancellor of health affairs at Duke University Medical Center and CEO of Duke University Health System, has won the Bravewell Leadership Award, which recognizes innovators of integrative medicine for their promotion of holistic approaches to medicine. The award is sponsored by the Minneapolis-based Philanthropic Collaborative for Integrative Medicine.

Snyderman is the inaugural recipient of the award, receiving $100,000 at a ceremony Nov. 13. He said the money will go toward furthering the area of "prospective health planning," an initiative he has already implemented at the Medical Center.

Speech pathology and audiology receives $4.75 million

The division of speech pathology and audiology at Duke University Medical Center has received a $4.75 million, five-year grant from the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research to continue work as a Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Communication Enhancement. The grant will fund a coordinated program of research, development, training and dissemination activities to improve technologies for people with communications disabilities.

This is the second grant the University has received for RERC funding. The first was in 1998, which went toward establishing a virtual center with partners from six institutions. For the newly funded RERC, Duke will partner again with five of the original six institutions, as well as new partner Children's Hospital Boston.

Melcher Family Award goes to TowerView editor

Tyler Rosen, a senior and editor of The Chronicle's TowerView Magazine, received the inaugural Melcher Family Award for Excellence in Journalism, which recognizes achievement in journalism by undergraduates during their junior year. Rosen's winning piece, "Assessing Intellectualism," was published in the April 2003 issue of TowerView.

The award was created by Richard Melcher, a Duke alumnus and member emeritus of the Sanford Institute Board of Visitors, and the DeWitt Wallace Center. Submissions were evaluated by members of the Melcher Family Award Committee.

"Both the award and the praise I've received have been tremendous," Rosen said, commending Melcher and the DeWitt Wallace Center for their dedication to student journalism.

Share and discuss “News Briefs” on social media.