Film: Russell Crowe sails the cinematic seas in Master and Commander

On the open seas, the wind can be your best friend or your worst enemy. A steady gale can carry a ship hundreds of miles, but a stagnant wind can leave crews treading water.

The very structure of director Peter Weir's new film Master and Commander emulates the rhythm of life on the ocean. Russell Crowe leads the crew of his trusty vessel, the Surprise, as Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey. The Surprise is assailed off the coast of South America by a much larger French galleon, sent by Napoleon to move naval conflict into the Pacific. With cannon balls screeching and body parts flying, Weir vividly depicts the rigors of war on the water during the early 19th century. Placing full trust in their heroic captain, the crew narrowly escape this ambush and retreats into the fog.

After the film roars onto the screen with a powerful gust, one might expect to be blown away by dynamic battle scenes and high seas action. Instead the pace of the film slackens considerably, and Master and Commander becomes a clever game of strategy between Captain Aubrey and his nemesis on the superior French ship. As the two ships dance on the wind, Weir takes time to delve into the lives of those 190 souls aboard the Surprise. Here the film's momentum slows to a gentle breeze.

It's in the lulls of Master and Commander that one really gets a sense of life aboard these massive sailing ships. Sleeping in the tightest of quarters and eating what looks like dog food, the men find solace in drink and in their work. Crowe as the captain is a demanding figure whose persona is enough to carry the film through even its longest dry spells. The sheer vision of Weir's project should and does impress, and while at times Master and Commander may seem to meander, the action returns like a whirlwind and delivers on its early promise.

Share and discuss “Film: Russell Crowe sails the cinematic seas in Master and Commander” on social media.