BREAKING NEWS: Livingston commits to Duke

The nation's top point guard will play basketball for coach Mike Krzyzewski next year.

6-foot-7 Shaun Livingston committed to Duke at a press conference at his high school Wednesday afternoon.

"I feel Coach K and Duke are the best fit for me," Livingston said. "It's the best decision I could make for me and my life, both in and beyond basketball."

Livingston, a rangy point guard, averaged 17 points, eight rebounds, and seven assists last year for Peoria (Ill.) Central High School. He is widely considered to be the nation's top prep playmaker and is the consensus number two prospect in the class of 2004.

"For the last two years, I've thought that Shaun Livingston is the best point guard in America," recruiting analyst Dave Telep told TheDevilsDen.com. "His overall package at the position is awesome. From posting up smaller guards to his super vision, he's big time."

"I think down the road, as his career progresses, he's going to be one of the best to play the position in college in recent memory," Telep continued. "In my mind, he raises the expectations of a program and team."

Peoria Journal-Star editor Kirk Wessler gave a similar assessment of Livingston's abilities last September.

"The thing that caught my eye the first time that I saw [Livingston] play...is that he dribbled between his legs at the age of five," Wessler said. "It was evident that he had...a natural gift for seeing the floor."

"You've got people who are born with certain talent," Wessler continued. "What he has, you just don't see many basketball players on any level who see things, develop, and watch things that are going to happen at high speed...and he has it."

Livingston, however, isn't perfect. Weighing only 178 pounds, the nation's top prep playmaker will need to add muscle to his 6-foot-7 frame.

"Right now I'm mainly working on some of the off-court stuff," Livingston told The Chronicle last week. "Weights and conditioning, [I'm] trying to get in shape because I'm going to have to play some big minutes."

Livingston also mentioned working on his foot speed and his jump shot, which has drawn some criticism in the past.

"My jump shot, it's been coming along," Livingston said. "But I'm still improving."

Livingston, who opted for Duke over Illinois and Arizona, will join California shooting guard DeMarcus Nelson and Connecticut forward Dave McClure in Duke's incoming freshman class. The commitment marks the second straight year Duke has inked the consensus number two prospect in the nation.

"You're going to love him," said Peoria Central coach Chuck Buescher. "He's an exciting player. I've never been to Cameron, but he'll keep `em jumping up and down."

Share and discuss “BREAKING NEWS: Livingston commits to Duke” on social media.