Wolfpack give Duke shot at picking up win

In sports, the term "must-win game" gets thrown around a lot. The bottom line is that when you're winless in your last nine games, eight of which were losses, every game becomes a must-win. When that game is against an in-state conference rival that has already felled two ranked teams this season, an even higher level of focus is demanded.

Thus is the challenge facing Duke (2-8-1, 0-3 in the ACC) when they take on N.C. State (6-5-0, 2-2) Friday night at Koskinen Stadium. Duke is mired in an extended slump that has seen them lose numerous close games.

"We are creating more opportunities than our opponents, yet they just seem to score more often," Duke head coach John Rennie said in regard to his team's frustrating winless drought. "Those things usually tend to even out over the course of the season, but so far that hasn't been the case."

The Blue Devils have been out scored by a total of 19-9 over their last nine games, despite outshooting their opponents 113-99. Yet the Duke coaches still feel that there is little that can be actively done to improve the Blue Devils' apparent lack of finishing touch, and that only time will heal their scoring woes.

Rennie has not allowed the slump to change his team's practice habits, saying that "The only thing you can do is roll up your sleeves and go back to work," adding that all he can as Coach is to instill "rededication and refocus" in his players.

In fact, Rennie could not be more inspired by the grit and determination of his players, admiring the fact that "they're working as hard as ever," despite the ever-growing string of consecutive losses.

The players themselves, in fact, appear to be even more demanding than their coaches.

"There comes a time when you're 2-5, and then you're unlucky," said freshman defender Danny Miller, "but now it's not just that we're unlucky anymore. There's something that we're missing...We've got to take it upon ourselves to stop using bad breaks as a scapegoat. We have to put our work in and put it all together."

Duke will face a formidable foe in N.C. State. Although the Blue Devils have dominated the Wolfpack in recent history--they have not lost to N.C. State since 1995--they will face a squad that is filled with young talent and possesses a much more confident demeanor.

Rennie points to last year as a turning point for the Wolfpack, noting that "they were a much better team last year. They had five new freshmen who made a big impact on their squad...They have great speed up front and they're a much improved team."

Foremost among these sophomores is forward Aaron King, who leads the ACC with seven goals. King matched his goal total from last year when he rippled the mesh for the seventh time this year in a 1-0 upset over a Virginia squad that was ranked seventh in the country at the time.

Duke will also have to find a way to control the superb midfield play of freshman Santiago Fusilier and sophomore Federico Peria. The two Argentinean midfielders, who along with fellow countryman Martin Cini comprise the whole of the Wolfpack's midfield, have already gained a reputation in the ACC for being superb playmakers when it comes to placing the through pass and long ball, and both have also made recent scoring contributions to their team's efforts as well.

When it comes to beating this talented N.C. State squad, Rennie admits that "there's no magic formula to it." Most importantly, the Blue Devils will have to battle N.C. State in the middle of the field for possession, a tall order considering the skill with which the Wolfpack midfielders handle and pass the ball.

Another key will be shutting down Aaron King. Duke's own scoring leader, Junior Nigi Adogwa, expressed tremendous respect for his fellow sharpshooter, saying that "if we don't take care of their forward [King], we'll be in trouble."

Starting Duke goalkeeper Justin Trowbridge agrees with Adogwa, saying that King "definitely poses a dangerous threat up front, so we've adjusted the defense. We've worked all week so we can shut him down."

The Blue Devils will not take this game lightly. "It's not another N.C. State game where you can just put another W in the win column; it's going to be a real battle out there," Miller said.

The military motif was a popular choice for many Blue Devils. "Every ACC game is a war," declared Trowbridge, "and both teams need a win very badly."

What should fans expect Friday night at Koskinen Stadium? Rennie told Duke fans that they can anticipate "an intense, competitive, hard fought game," adding that the Wolfpack might be a little hungrier than usual since "these guys [N.C. State] haven't beat us in a long time, and they'll be motivated to do just that."

So which is a stronger motivator, frustration or revenge? Duke has not won its last nine games, the Wolfpack have waited eight years to beat Blue Devils, and something has to give. The answer will come Friday night.

Share and discuss “Wolfpack give Duke shot at picking up win” on social media.